Friday, September 12, 2014

Going Into the Weekend

The busyness of our lives go in and out in waves.  When the tide is low, we are able to relax and enjoy life.  But when the waves keep coming in--  a sick child, an adoption delay, a disrespectful child, an out of control dog-- and the tide seems to just keep getting higher--  I retreat and step back from blogging.

After a very high tide earlier this week, I can now say, it is retreating just in time for the weekend.

Thank God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Earlier in the week:

One of the kids was home sick for a few days.

Lexi- though cute as can be-- has been out of control.  She keeps biting the sprinkler heads off, and digging holes in our grass.  She gets all muddy from the digging and shakes herself off right near our back door.  John replaced the sprinkler head with a metal one, so Lexi chomped down on it and pulled the whole thing out!  She has even bitten a golf ball in half!  The kids take her for runs every morning for their P.E. but it only tires her out for a few hours before she is back to her mischievous self.  She is into everything, jumps on you, and playfully bites (still a no-no in my book).  Granted, this is mostly due to her excitement, but it is just too much.  She seems to want attention constantly, and the kids in my opinion have not been spending enough time with her.  Period.  As awful as it sounds, I have been fantasizing about life without her.  However, John suggested we call a dog trainer to come out to the house before jumping to such a drastic measure.  Why didn't I think of that?   So... on Monday, a dog trainer is coming to our house to help us with Lexi.  The whole family is going to partake in this dog training so that we are all on the same page.

I. Can't. Wait.

On Tuesday, I got some not so good news about our adoption.  Due to the judges being on vacation, we will not be getting a court date until some time in mid October or later, which means that she won't be home until the end of November.  This is a month later-- thirty more long, agonizing, drawn out days, than we previously thought, and it just stinks thinking that she is in her crib gnawing on her hand, being forced to guzzle her bottle in one minute during feeding time.  In our home, we sit down at meals all together and have family time.  Big difference, and it just aches my heart remembering how unpleasant her meal times are.  Her high chair sits empty until the day she is here with us surrounded by family that loves her.  Big sigh.  Emotionally draining to say the least. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alex gets his new AFO braces today!

Oliver went to pre-school for the 2nd time!

Rachel, Sveta, Annalyn, and Julia all got the jobs at the pumpkin patch!

Dennis' birthday is this weekend! 



4 comments:

  1. Christine I am so, so sorry to hear about your adoption delays. That is just awful............I can't begin to imagine how hard this is for you all. Hang in there and remember God has a plan.......
    Sorry to hear about Lexi's antics. We have a 7 month old Labrador Retriever, so I know how busy they can be. Getting some training is absolutely essential. Your Lexi looks as though she could have lab and maybe border collie in her. Border collies are VERY active and hyper and need TONS of exercise. We had our girl in a puppy manners class when she was 3 months old and then another manners class for the older pup. It was REALLY GOOD. I gave owned dogs my whole life, mainly labs and early training is essential. Do you crate her at all? Crates are good for dogs....they are den animals and really like that feeling. We give our dogs Nylabones......the big softish kind of ones, as they need to chew, and if they don't have a few of these around they will find something to chew on.......labs are real chewers. My suggestion would be to really work with the trainer and be consistent so the pup is not confused. I have trained all my dogs and it is so important for the whole family to be on the same page. Our 4 1/2 year old lab is a Pet Therapy dog and we work with seniors and youth in crisis with him and he is very calm now, but it rakes work. I hope this has been helpful. You gave raised all these lovely children, so don't let this cute puppy think she is the boss and get the better of you :-) :-) She will be a beautiful addition to your family.....

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, let me know the AFO braces work out. I had developed a very serious nearly fatal neurological illness a few years back that rendered me paralyzed, i am recovered now, but occasionally i have some residual effects, one being a drop foot. I had been recently looking into AFO braces. Let me know how they work for Alex. :)

    Thanks Christine,

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I pity you with a puppy. I've always said (and will stand by it) I'd rather adopt four children than one puppy. And if you pushed me, I'd choose more children. Puppies are just SO....MUCH.....WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for continued wisdom for Lexi, so sorry about the adoption delay! Praying for favor from the government and things to keep moving forward!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.