Sunday, August 3, 2014

Having a Nice Weekend

"Mom! Come look!" the boys called out to me.
What an interesting and beautiful bug.  Perhaps an orange grasshopper?  Whatever it is, I am amazed by God's creations. 
Paul, Andrew, and Jonny kept an eye on it for hours until Lexi found it. :(
Sveta helped me make stir-fried garlic cauliflower.  We first had it at our friend's house and it was delicious.  Here is the recipe.  Clean and cut up a whole cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Add 1/8 cup of olive oil to a pan and stir-fry cauliflower over medium heat.  Meanwhile, add three cloves chopped garlic and continue to stir-fry until fork tender.  Turn off heat, salt to taste, and sprinkle 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese.  Enjoy!
This weekend Galina's biological sister Allie is visiting with us.  The girls are having a nice time.
Today was a cool, overcast kind of day.  I don't remember seeing the sun at all.  We got some much needed rain and enjoyed most of the day outside.
My Aunt Tanya and Mom gave us bags and bags of peaches so we made jam.  It took a lot of work just to produce these six little jars so I was thrilled to see that each one had sealed properly.
We also made three peach pies.
Tonight the kids went to the "Teen's Rule" party at our homeowner's association clubhouse.  Those that stayed home enjoyed vegetarian korma over rice.  John, Nolan, and I were the only ones that really enjoyed it.  Oh well-- more for us.
Alex and Dennis love to play video games.  Just like most kids, I bet they could play the I-Pad mini all day if I let them.
With our current project going on, we have lots of extra dirt in our yard.  In an attempt to use some of it and pretty up our yard, I planted some flowers in inexpensive plant pots that I picked up at the nursery.
Our small project is slowly coming along.
There are two flowers that grow well in our yard--Vincas and Zinnias.  Oh how l have come to love these two flowers.  They not only are beautiful, but they  last a long time, reseed themselves, and are very low maintenance.

Here is a wonderful picture of my oldest son Adam and youngest son Oliver.   They love each other so much, it blesses me to watch the two of them together.
Alex is sporting his new watch.  It has six different alarms that go off throughout the day telling him when it is time for him to cath himself.  What I really like about the watch is that it vibrates rather than beeps.  With school just around the corner, I wanted him to have a discreet way to keep track of when he needs to take care of his personal business without drawing unnecessary (and possibly embarrassing) attention to himself like when he was called out by the teacher or aide to go to the nurse's office.   My hope is that he can quietly slip out of his classroom in the same manner his classmates would slip out of the class if they had to use the restroom.
 Alex also likes knowing what time it is.

7 comments:

  1. That's a good idea for Alex. And so good that he can care for his own needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. neat bug! Adam and Oliver melt my heart. I can NOT believe how big Oliver is...and how strong he looks now! Yay for family! God provided just the right one for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar cauliflower recipe we love. Clean and cut into bite size pieces, 3 T olive oil in a plastic bag. Toss in cauliflower and make sure it's all coated. In another bag add 1/2-3/4C parm, salt and pepper. Toss in cauliflower and cover with parm. Place on baking sheet and bake 350 for 40 min. It's awesome. It's a little crispy and sooo yummy. ;) I'm going to try yours. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news about Alex. What a big boy he is :-) It is lovely that Galina and her bio sister are able to keep in touch and visit too. I'm sure they both appreciate that. I am going to have to Google Korma and see what it is. It is good to have a vegetarian supper sometimes. I really love the photo of Adam and Oliver. Such good buddies I can tell :-)

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try that cauliflower recipe - probably tonight! Though someone just told me yesterday that when you heat olive oil it loses its health benefits. Really? I have been (then) wasting a really expensive bottle of olive oil. :(

    I made Indian food last night myself. Not common at our house, it went over well. I had the correct array of people at the table to have everyone enjoy it.

    The picture of Adam and Oliver is adorable.

    I've never canned - well, because my mom didn't, I suppose! And, I figure that with a freezer it is unnecessary. I would have made as many pies as I could make and freeze THEM. Because my mom did always have a couple of times a year a "Pie Baking Day", when she'd make 10-12 pies to last the six months or so until the next time. I think you can just freeze the peaches, too. Canning is just so hard and messy for me in my tiny kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from the Bug Lady! I love that your boys found an orange grasshopper. Here's their science/nature lesson for the day: That's the nymph (juvenile) of the Gray Bird grasshopper. It happens to be one of my favorite grasshoppers especially because it can be found in a wide variety of different colors. I have made it a hobby to take pictures of all the various colors I have found, and I have them in a photo set on Flickr. I bet your boys would enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boys just love gadgets. So glad he has it. Praying he continues to progress with independent ADLs!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.