Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Digest 27

Anonymous said...
Yum. Just a quick question where do you always get your dough/crust. Thanks.
March 27, 2014 at 6:41 AM

 
We make our dough from scratch.   Julia found a simple pizza dough recipe and she quadruples it.  This recipe, although I am not sure it is the exact one, should be fine.   The shells are prebaked much the same way a store bought pizza shell is, so that it is easier for the kids to handle.

Lisa said...
Poor guy, lifting Andrew to the Lord for fast healing and peace.
March 19, 2014 at 4:58 AM
 
Thank you Lisa.  Andrew is doing so much better now.  None of my kids have ever gotten more than a small burn from a hot cookie sheet or oil splatter, so this is new territory for us.  Burns are so painful to begin with on top of all the horror stories I have heard, that I was really scared when it first happened.  I learned that most of his burn was first degree, with just a very small area being second degree.  I also learned that the size of our hand is considered to be about 1% of our body surface area.  Had the 2nd degree burn area been much bigger than his hand, it probably would have been best to have him go to the ER.  In Andrew's case, home treatment while we kept a close eye on it was all that was needed.   That... and peace of mind.  The Lord provided that.
Kathy C. said...
Seems like they are all growing up all at once with college and driver's licenses etc. Isn't it funny to have a toddler and a college student at the same time? Our age spread is 23 down to 8. 30 if you count my step daughter, but we didn't raise her.
March 17, 2014 at 8:02 PM
 
Hi Kathy!  It is a bit strange, but I must say that it makes things easier now that they are older.  Though we have 17 kids, most of them are self-sufficient and are very helpful.  I remember when I had my first babies.  It was so challenging and lonely at times.  Moms with just a few little kids have it so much harder than I do with way more kids.  Yes they are asking to borrow the cars to drive to work or go out with friends, but they are also offering to take the younger kids swimming, to the library, and out for ice-cream.  It is really nice to see them doing more things together.  
 
I think what will be really strange is when one of our children move out.
   
Emily Minich said...
That is so amazing, Christine. God has truly shown his love to your little daughter. And the faith that you had at the beginning that he would bring her home is inspiring to me, but is also so scary. We want to adopt from Eastern Europe, but we know we don't have the money and the thought of setting out to pursue a child only to not have the money in time makes me want to not even start. But then I see stories like this and it seems possible. The truth of the matter is that God loves his children and will provide even if I'm scared and don't have the money at the beginning of the journey to bring one home.
March 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM
 
 
Thank you Emily for your encouraging words.  Love your heart.  If you have it on your heart to adopt and I can help in some way, I'd be honored.  Please let me know. 

Looks great. What is your recipe for the bread and the Indian Korma? I have been sautéing a lot of kale and spinach together and adding various things. So good.

God bless you all
Erika
March 4, 2014 at 8:42 PM
 
 
Hi Erika.  The recipe for the Indian Korma is here.   I'm sorry, but I cannot find the bread recipe I used.  Kale and spinach are great, however, I think I prefer my spinach raw.  If you don't mind sharing your tasty spinach recipe....

Jill said...
Does the band thing seem to help Nolan you think? I hate having things on my head so I feel for him. :)

Christine, I have to comment on how much joy it gives me to see how you always have the kids helping you in the kitchen. I know you couldn't do it all alone, but they are so self-sufficient! I struggle with teaching my kids things because when they are in the kitchen with me is when I realize how much of a control freak I can be! Did you struggle at first or did it come naturally?
February 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM
 
 
Hi Jill, Nolan's hearing aid head band does seem to make a difference although he still tires of wearing it after a full day of school.  I notice when he is not wearing it because he tends to ignore me-- LOL. 
 
It is a huge blessing to have the kids help out in the kitchen.  Not only do many hands make light work, but I want them to all know how to cook by the time they move out.  Some of the kids are still learning to read recipes let alone make them, but the more they practice the better they are getting at knowing their way around the kitchen.  I started out with them making a box cake mix to teach them how to measure.  Then we moved onto things like scrambled eggs, pancakes, salads, and mashed potatoes since they can be made without a recipe. 
 
I can totally relate to being a control freak.  So often it is easier to just do it yourself.  Over time though, the kids do learn, and it is so worth it to know that they won't starve when they are out on their own! 
 

1 comment:

  1. I had asked a while ago, but maybe I missed your answer:

    Where do you get/send for firing the individual dinner plates that your children decorate each year? It's such a wonderful tradition and I would like to do the same with my family.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.