Saturday, February 15, 2014


Oliver woke in the wee hours of Friday morning.  I could not get him to go back to sleep unless he was in my arms.  Come morning I knew that I had to take him to the doctor.  I thought back to this time last year when he had bronchitis, and I was scared that he was really sick. 
Yesterday he seemed perfectly fine and then sickness set in overnight.  He was seen at urgent care because I wanted to avoid the ER.  He had a chest x-ray, and thankfully his lungs showed clear.  However, he does have bronchitis.  The doctor gave him a steroid, antibiotic, and albuterol for breathing treatments.  Once back home, Oliver seemed to be getting better.  Around 8 pm I took him upstairs so I could lay him down.  He began to cough and seemed to dislodge a piece of phlegm that got stuck in his throat.  He was having trouble breathing.  I firmly patted his back and dialed 911 at the same time.  His breathing got better, so I told the dispatcher nevermind.  My plan was to take him back to urgent care or ER at this point.  Then he coughed again, and was having trouble breathing and I felt that the drive would be too risky.  I called 911 back.  John took Oliver in his arms and was able to comfort him so beautifully.  Our whole family laid hands on Oliver and prayed.  Oliver fell asleep before the paramedics got there.  John took Oliver outside and the night air helped his breathing even more.  His pulse oxygen level was 94 and his breathing was much better.  They told me that Oliver probably had croup as well and to keep the humidifier near him all night.  We avoided a trip to the ER, and though Oliver tossed and turned all night and kept me up, it gave me the opportunity to pray for him continuously throughout the night. 
Come morning, Oliver was much better.  Honestly, it made me wonder if I had dreamt the whole thing the night before.
Oliver continues to get better.  Thank you for the prayers.
Here is Nolan's latest masterpiece.  Remember, he is only five years old and didn't know how to hold a pencil a year and a half ago.
We joke around in our family all the time.  That involves winking.  Only one problem.  Julia isn't a very good winker.  So, this her version of a wink.  One eye open, and one eye closed.  It's catching like wildfire throughout the house.
Thank you for the recent donations made towards the adoption of our little girl.  It is such a timely blessing, given that today is her birthday.  We are touched that you have partnered with us to help bring her home.
Happy birthday baby girl!
I wish there was some way I could let you know that we are thinking of you!


  1. Hopefully she'll be home by her next birthday!

  2. So glad he is OK. This is the 2nd miracle I have heard today. We had 2 sad things happen and now 2 miracles.

    God Bless,

    Cottage Making Mommy

  3. Oh my goodness! Your poor Mama's heart. One baby in your arms fighting to breathe and one baby not in your arms, when she needs to be, on her birthday. May our Heavenly Father's arms surround you. See you soon.

  4. Just be aware that Croup often lasts for 3 nights. They can seem fine during the day. One thing you can do is to run the shower really hot and stand with him in the steamy bathroom. Distraction can really help if their breathing is upsetting them, so we often use the time to draw on the mirrors and shower doors.


I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.