Sunday, February 9, 2014

Happy Birthday Andrew!

Happy birthday to our 12 year old Andrew! When I asked him what he wanted to do, his answer was not only sweet, but it surprised me how simple it was.
He wanted a camp-like cook out.
But first John took Andrew and a few of the other kids to the skate board park.


After the kids worked up an appetite, they came home and we got ready for the cook out.
While the wood burned down into coals, some of the kids got wild on the trampoline.
The kids were so excited.  We kept hearing, "This is the best day ever!"

The kids aren't usually big hot dog fans, but roasted Hebrew kosher dogs are so yummy when they are roasted on a stick that I ran out! 
Thankfully there were plenty of smores and a pot of split pea soup on the stove just in case.
Anna got this great shot of Adam.




Andrew roasted me a perfectly gooey marshmallow.  It was great!  I wanted another so I began to roast one myself.  It caught fire and I began to wave it back and forth to put it out.  A piece landed on my sweater.   Nice.
After the kids ate, they played Ramp Tag.
Andrew asked Adam if he would bring out his guitar.  He did.  We sang a few songs.

Oliver was a gooey, sticky, marshmallow mess so I excused myself to give him a bath.  When I came back out Andrew asked if we could sit together.  It really was a perfect way to end the day.
After a year of the kids asking and me saying no, the trampoline finally made it over to the pull-up bars. 
The smoke was hurting Paul's eyes so he got goggles out of the garage.  The smoke bothered Alex more, so Paul gave them to him.
Paul really enjoyed the evening.
Galina and Paul
Galina planned a scavenger hunt for Andrew.  He found her present in the microwave. 
A few of the kids played a prank on Jonny and Andrew.  They took Jonny's present and replaced it with an identically wrapped present with girl barrettes in it.  It was quite funny watching Andrew open it.
Andrew got Skylanders and Giants from Grandpa and Grandma.
Adam wrote Andrew this funky birthday letter.  It was hilarious to hear Andrew read it outloud.


6 comments:

  1. Looks like a really fun way to celebrate. Good photo of Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! The note from Adam was so cool and funny. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine,
    Your family is so beautiful.
    The relationships are visible.
    What a fun way to spend the day.

    God bless,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the feeling you all live someplace warmer than where I live. :-) We would have had to celebrate with more sledding.

    Looks like a great day! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Andrew! It looks like you all had a great day.

    And you look fabulous, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, and I know your kids do too, that John is so physically able to "keep up" with the kids with their extreme sports! Lots of dads watch from the sidelines. They will never forget that!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.