Monday, November 11, 2013

An Invite

It is hard to explain how crazy happy I am about my weight loss.  That is hard for me to write because it means that I am admitting that I had let myself go these past few years.  I was able to give every excuse, and the sad part was that I believed it.  My focus had become learning to live with the extra weight and trying not to let it drag me down.
 
I had tried many diets over the years and nothing had worked.  Each time I failed reinforced my thoughts that I could never lose weight.  The only thing I was good at was gaining it.  Then out of the blue something clicked.  To put it simply, I was ready.
 
On August 25th I began dieting and exercising.  That was over 25 pounds ago.  Yes, I made my goal of 158 pounds by November 16.  I finally went out and bought me some new clothes to celebrate.  And rather than hold onto my old, much bigger clothes just in case, I got rid of them.   It was strange to me that I had a hard time making the decision to get rid of certain things.  I think they were like my security blanket.
 
No turning back though.... I hope.
 
This is the first time in my life that I have worked so hard to lose weight.  It has not been easy.  Yes, over time it has gotten easier, but I will not lie, there are days when I wish I wasn't on this journey.  Food just tastes so good and exercise can be so tiring.  There are days when I splurge and have a bite of a messy meatball sandwich.   There are days when I get to the gym only to realize that I can't do the workout I had planned because I am just too tired.
 
Yes, there are those moments.  And thankfully, I am reminded that with God all things are possible.  My body is his temple and I do not want to be controlled by food or my tiredness.  I like having more energy for my kids.  I like having a spring in my step because I am more confident.


If you have been wanting to feel better about yourself by losing some of the extra pounds that you have accumulated over the years, I want to encourage you to take that step.   If I can do it, I know that you can.  And let me be your encourager.  I can email you.  I can share recipes.  I do have a few tips that have worked for me.
 
Trust me, you will not be sorry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My next goal is to lose 8 pounds by the New Year.  I hope that is realistic.  I think it is.  Thanksgiving and Christmas, and our trip to Belize will really challenge me though.
I think I can.  I think I can.
This new me is really more about a life style change than losing weight.  I have come to accept that I can't just pop anything into my mouth like my children can.  My metabolism isn't like theirs.  Rather than feel sorry for myself, I choose more wisely.  I look forward to something special rather than take for granted that I can just eat whatever I want.  Exercise is a must too.  It not only has built up my endurance, but it is great for releasing stress.  I set little goals for myself like being able to do 50 sit-ups or five extra reps on a machine.  It gives me a sense of accomplishment. 
I can do this.
 
Would you like to join me?

17 comments:

  1. You rock!! Yes you can do it. . .I faced that same decision about 15 years ago--right about in my mid-30's. I lost 30 pounds and have kept 25 of them off all that time (the other 5 comes and goes, but it's okay). My biggest lesson is that it's okay to have a splurge now and then. It helps keep you from having them all the time!!!

    You go girl! Keep it up. You're an example for your children!!

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me start out by saying that I think you are an absolutely beautiful woman NO MATTER WHAT because you have a heart full of love. But I also rejoice with you because getting healthy and feeling better about yourself is fabulous! I want to do it, too! I've been trying to cut out sugar and simple carbs, eat more fruits & veggies, AND of course, exercise. I haven't been successful in the regular exercise department yet, but you're inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be joining you! When you first shared about your weight loss I shared that I had managed to lose all of my weight by some diet changes about two years ago. Well, after delivering baby #8 two weeks ago (and totally bailing on my diet changes during pregnancy), it is time to lose that weight again. :/.

    I'll have to be careful to balance the diet changes and weight loss with keeping a good milk supply for baby. But like you said, I can't just eat anything anymore like my kids can. I'm going to have to get back into the practice of waiting for a special treat and having better self control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! You look great!! My problem is that I have no willpower. I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes, so now losing weight is more important for me than ever. I gave up my two vices...Pepsi and Southern iced tea. I have tried not to eat white bread whenever possible. I know I need to exercise, but I do not have your willpower. Again, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!!! I think this is fabulous! And you look so great in that dress!

    It's going to be tough over the holidays but it sounds like you are determined to do it! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay so happy for you. Congrats! The pics are adorable.

    Hugs,

    Valerie
    Cottage Making Mommy
    www.lovingmyheartandhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely need to get going on this "journey" myself. Though I do not have near as many children looking to me as you do, I still have four that need guidance and shown how to take care of themselves, including eating healthy and exercising. I have tried and tried before, and have had a difficult time, but I am not getting any younger and definitely need to stick with it. Any tips, hints, etc that you could share and enlighten me with would be appreciated. Thanks. And Congrats!!! You look Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look wonderful and are such an inspiration!

    Yes, I would love to join you! I have 50-60 # to lose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to join you! Seems I'm probably close to the weight you were before you started this, and would LOVE to be at the weight you are now!! You're amazing! Keep up the good work! I'd like to join you in working to lose 8 lbs by New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your weight loss and new healthy outlook!

    I just read through your FAS entries as I have 7 year old twins with FAS and am always curious how others are doing.

    My twins will be participating in a study at SDSU regarding the effects of Choline on executive and cognitive functioning and I'm wondering if you've tried this with Sveta and, if so, what the results have been? I've heard really positive things about it and am anxious to get the results back from the study. One mom has indicated that her 22 year old FAS son can hold a job and handle responsibilities as long as he takes his supplement. If he does not take it, he reverts back to needing his external brain.

    We're starting next week but won't know if we're getting a placebo or Choline until after the study. Hoping to have great things to report!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Christine!!!!!
    That is so exciting!
    I hit my goal weight last December and then lost more. ( a new goal weight)
    My last check up at the doc... blood work was nearly perfect!
    2 points to have great cholesterol. :)

    It IS hard work, but not impossible.
    And healthy recipes are fun. :)
    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have also been on the diet/exercise plan. My weight loss has been quite slow. 7 lbs in 10 weeks. I do the little to no carb, tons of water and have been hiking/jogging 15+ miles a week. I do cheat by having some coffee creamer and some wine. Slow and sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to join you. I am in a similar situation and am encouraged by your progress. I don't have your email address to share more details. My address is: sharis@comcast.net
    Thanks for being an inspiration!
    shari

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look great!
    And I am definetely joining you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes put me down I would like to join you and need encouragement and accountability:)

    richellecucchi@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to join you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.