Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Catch Up Post

I have a jokester in the house. One of his chores is to replace the toilet paper twice a week throughout the house.  After running out of TP in the main downstairs bathroom, I screamed out to him for more.  This is how much he brought.  Just enough to topple into the toilet with one wrong move. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few weeks ago we celebrated my Mom's 60th birthday.  Here she is on the left with my Aunt Tanya.  Doesn't she look great?  Happy belated birthday Mom.  We love you!

We went to The Outback Steakhouse-- one of her favorite restaurants.
Back home with we sang happy birthday and ate cake.



Galina gave Baboonya a foot massage for her birthday.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Two weeks ago we were studying African history.  The middle schoolers made African beads.  




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Three weeks ago William and I went to the dermatologist.  I had a brown dot on my nose pop up over night and William had a long asymmetrical mole on his back that I noticed the last time we went swimming.  Just in case, we had them both removed.  The pathology report came back benign just like they thought, but with skin cancer so commonplace I didn't want to take the chance.  
 
Nolan's ear and kidney infection are both long gone-- praise the Lord.  The ENT checked him out on Monday, and said that he is good for now.  We have another hearing test scheduled for the end of this month.  I sure hope his ears stay dry until then so we could get an accurate reading of his hearing loss.  If so, we may be able to determine if he does need hearing aids.
 
Regardless of his hearing, we are moving forward with a communication device.  He is so bright and has so much to say that we do not want to hold him back.  Last Friday I spent a few hours at Goodwill Industries in Santa Ana having him tested to see what communication device would be appropriate for him.   Originally we thought Proloquo2Go would be a great fit, but based on his ability, it looks like he will outgrow it in no time.  The tester thinks this will be a better fit.  After seeing him work it, I tend to agree.  However, this is a device that the school district needs to agree too since they will be footing the bill.  John and I are ready to go to bat for our Nolan-- we just hope we don't have to.  If they could see how this dedicated communication device will open up learning and communication for Nolan, I have to believe that they will agree to it.  After looking at many different programs and devices, this seems like the most appropriate fit.  On just the short time that we were there, he was putting the month of the year in order and repeating them to us.  This is huge since my biggest concern with getting a device for Nolan was whether or not it would replace his motivation to talk.  Actually it looks like it will encourage him to talk.  As he forms the sentence that he wants to make (not choosing a preprogrammed one) and it speaks on his behalf, he is actually repeating what it says. 
This is not only cute to watch, but encouraging to see our little guy get his voice.
 
Oliver went to the ENT yesterday, and his ears and hearing are great as of now.  So pleased to know that we are good to go for the next six months.
 


6 comments:

  1. You and William are fortunate your moles were benign. I have had melanoma twice in the last 7 months and I live in the cloudy northeast. That's what I get for going to tanning booths when I was young I guess. I have more scars than I care to have, but I am cancer free and much more aware of my skin than ever.

    I hope the school doesn't give you any grief over buying what Nolan needs. Can't wait to hear of his progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right that a communication device can enhance verbal language. Also, PRC (the company that makes the Accent) is a fantastic place to get AAC devices from. They pioneered LAMP (Language Acquisition through Motor Planning), which greatly increases the speed at which an individual can communicate because symbols stay in the same place from page to page. Just to warn you about getting devices from school systems: they may insist that you try (and fail with) something lower tech before going to a dedicated speech generating device because they are so expensive. The people in charge of assistive technology don't REALLY want to do that but there are rules that need to be followed from funding sources. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions: jgoeble at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I wish you luck with the school district buying the equipment. I know you will fight for the device he needs. Could you get it used and keep it? Good luck, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the infections are gone and that you are fighting to do what is best for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://niederfamily.blogspot.co.uk/

    This blog is amazing, if you've not come across it before, on AAC. She has a facebook page too, which is also good. Using a device def encourages language by speaking, not discourages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm saying a prayer that the school approves the Accent 1000 for Nolan. My girlfriend's daughter received one and it opened up a brand new world for her to speak. She may be handicapped, but she certainly has a lot to say and add to so many discussions! Being able to get her point across to others is a blessing! Seeing her face light up each time she can participate in conversation is a wonderful thing to witness! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.