Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

Oliver is our gorgeous, not so little baby.  He is getting so tall!  He lights up our lives with his amazing smile.
Little Guy continues to adjust.  He is so much calmer now compared to when he first came.  Today he asked if he could have some hot chocolate.  He then asked if he could help.  He poured the powder into his cup and stirred it up after I poured in some hot water.  I added some milk.  He then drank it down very quickly.
Jonny was helping with yard work when he was stung by a bee.  This is his fifth time being stung with each reaction being worse than the one before.  His whole foot swelled up to the point where it hurt too much to walk.  He had a low grade fever too.  Ice, ibuprofen, and allergy medicine along with sleeping in between Mom and Dad for two nights has made him feel much better.
 Though the swelling in his foot has gone way down, I think that if there is a next time we will have to take him to Urgent Care.  Our home treatment probably won't be enough. :(
For Labor Day we made oven baked barbecue ribs, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, and homemade angel food cake with strawberries.  Adam was especially helpful with ribs in exchange for a haircut.
Julia worked on her Geology while she watched the kids swim.
We would have gone to the clubhouse pool but it was too crowded.  I had Caleb drive down to check it out before we all headed down.  Instead we filled up our little pool.
We added bowls of hot water to the pool so it wouldn't be so cold.
The kids had a great time splashing around.
I love how green and lush this area of our backyard looks. 

16 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mess with taking him to Urgent Care next time. You NEED to call his pediatrician and tell him what happened. An Epi Pen may be in order so he doesn't go into anaphalactic shock next time. Act before it happens or you may not have a child next time. I am speaking from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Your baby is so cute. If he was still in the Ukraine I wonder if he would even be alive. Thanks for caring about children who need homes.Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our son Nik was stung multiple times. We were told next time he's stung, straight to ER and we'll be carrying an epipen. Apparently, the likelihood of him being allergic gets higher w/ each sting doc said. I had no idea. I would call the ped and just let them know what happened though. BTW, Oliver has really grown! Have a wonderful school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! that looks painful!
    Sounds like a nice weekend. Julia sounds like Erika.... diligent to study. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please get an epi-pen immediately. I almost died due to a drug reaction and we had an epipen in the house for my son with a peanut allergy - it was the only thing that saved my life. I literally went from fine to anaphylaxis in less than 5 minutes. Please do not wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Jonny! Do talk to your doctor. It may just be that a prescription of prednisone may be helpful to have around also. I have one for times like that. So glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time, try Afterbite for these stings. It works wonders for me and I used to swell up like that every time.

    http://www.tendercorp.com/products.php?category=INSECT%20BITE%20TREATMENTS&cat=58

    ReplyDelete
  8. def get an epi-pen from your dr. it's easy to keep on hand and could make a big difference in how he recovers next time. you just have to get a fresh one every 12 months i think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caleb seems to be such a great guy. Hanging out with little bro--what a tender heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful photos! Oliver is as cute as a button and so is Caleb (what a doll!)

    I agree with anonymous. My mom developed a similar allergy to bee stings over the years and it can get rather dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will echo the comments of others: Get an epi-pen. He's obviously allergic to these stings and each stimg provokes a more severe reaction. Urgent Care will be needed but, if the next sting provokes anaphylactic shock, and you have no epi-pen, than the unthinkable could happen.

    Epi-pens are very easy to administer and small enough that it's easy to carry around. And you, John and Jonny should have pens with you at all times(keep some in all cars too) Jonny can learn to administer, and he should have a medic-alert braclet (really cheap to find these days) which tells others of his allergy. Make sure any friends and all family members know of his allergy and where pens are kept. All your older childern should learn how to administer the epi in case of an emergency.

    Please make sure to get an epi-pen as soon as possible. It could save his life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would definitely get him an epi-pen. My fear is that if he gets stung on the face or chest it could cause anaphylaxis. My boyfriend had this happen as a kid and he almost died.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also echoing comments of others about the epi-pen. The fact that it's getting worse with each sting is a huge red flag - and the severity of reactions can increase exponentially, not just a little worse each time. Please call the pediatrician, and definitely mention how it worsens each time as well as bringing any pictures of the sting site and reactions.

    Lisa G. in CT

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have agree with the other comments, if he were to be stung more than once it might be too late to save his life. His leg and foot looks very painful, those poor toes! This is wasp season where we live, they get pretty aggressive this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another vote to get the Epi-pen now. My son was stung once with a moderate reaction; the next sting, we didn't even see and he swelled to horrific proportions in minutes. You're not always going to be minutes from EMS and/or Urgent Care, and a reaction may be life threatening and time critical.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Won't say anything about Epi-pen since you already have that covered, but my goodness can Oliver get any cuter???? I was just telling someone in China about him and how darn cute he is!!!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.