Saturday, August 31, 2013

Guest Post by Annalyn

About three months ago, my mom got us the first season of Little House On the Prairie. We did not think much of it at first and we were most certainly not interested in being stuck watching the whole season.  We kept watching our shows and playing our games on the Wii until one day my mom told us to turn them all off and do something more productive, or watch an episode of Little House. 
 
Not wanting to go outside or do something else inside, we watched the first episode.  We immediately asked to watch the second.  After watching more during the week, we really got into it and ended up finishing the whole first season in two weeks.  Since she saw how much we really enjoyed them my mom ended up getting all nine seasons.  Now we are on the fifth season.
 
As much as we enjoy watching the show, there is more to the show than just good stories and great actors.  There are so many things I have learned from watching the show that will stick.  First off, I noticed the way that Laura and Mary treated their parents. They did not argue or talk back when they were in the wrong of something. They confessed when they lied, and accepted the consequences with out complaining.  Compared to back then we talk back so much to our parents (not everyone, but a lot of people).
 
Another thing that I noticed was how much we take for granted today while they had to work so hard to make a living. We also have so many labor saving devices such as washing machines, dishwashers, and cars (back then they had to travel slowly on a bumpy road with hard wooden seats).  As their daily chores they had to milk cows, clean chicken coops, and chop wood. We might have a few chores once or twice a week that are hard, but doing all the things they did EVERY DAY just sounds impossible if we had to do it today.
 
While watching Little House, the interesting stories and lessons from it have taught me many things. I love the way most of the characters handled difficult situations.  Instead of immediately going and telling (or blackmailing them by saying something like "I'll go and tell unless you do something for me"),  like some little kids do and some older people, they go and talk to the person and give them a chance to make things right.   They show examples of what that looks like from Nellie Olson, who is a mean little girl who thinks she was the best and always put others down and tried to get them into trouble.
 
Those are a few lessons that we already know, but some of the episodes had deeper meanings in the plots, like racism, thievery, cheating, and fairness to name a few. They taught how they solved the problems in a rational way (instead of losing their heads and over reacting) and the most important lesson, about sticking together as a family and helping each other no matter what the situation is. I am really glad that we got into watching Little House on the Prairie because it is a great and wholesome show that teaches many meaningful lessons.  I definitely recommend Little House On the Prairie and give the show five stars.
 
(Julia dressed up in here Little House outfit) 

24 comments:

  1. Great review Annalyn! You should read the Little House books too and compare them with the television show! :-) My grandmother (teacher) had the privilege to write Laura Ingalls Wilder who wrote her back! When I was a kid (I'm 50 now!) we went to some of Laura's old homesteads which was very interesting and fun to be able to see where/how they lived. You should do more guest posts as should all of your siblings! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this every week, as a little girl. i loved it!!! Great review and so glad that you found it enjoyable all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen the TV show because when I was a little girl I loved the books so much that I didn't want them ruined by images that didn't fit for me. (Actually, I'd written to the Laura Ingalss Wilder Home and Museum when I was about twelve and I ordered photographs of the actual people, and a replica "Charlotte" doll - I have it all to this day!)

    Anyway, please read the books!

    One thing you girls could even do together (or ask your mom to do) is read them aloud. I have read all of them aloud to my children several times.

    I won't tell you about our vacation when we went to all the sites of the book! (It is hard to refrain once I get started!)

    I appreciate your thoughts about the series; you are very insightful (and a good writer); I'm really sure you'd love the books even more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Annalyn!
    We love little house over here too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your review! This was a favorite show for my family when I was a kid. My kids also loved the show. You are right - we can learn a lot from them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only seen bits and pieces of the show when I was younger (at hotels, because we didn't have a TV when I was a kid), but it looks good. I read the books many times! Glad you are all enjoying it. Now you just need to find a pig bladder to make a ball out of and you're all set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Annalyn is a terrific writer. I had to look at her pic to see how old she is. That is amazing. Great job, Annalyn on your review and your writing. Do you watch The Brady Bunch? That would be great to review for us also. HOpe to see more of your guest posts!
    Holly. D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Little House with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you like Little House then you'll like The Waltons. Great shows with family values.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this post a joke? Old fashioned just isn't in and many people get along just fine without the "lessons" of Little House on the Prairie! Sounds all dictated by mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to reply to this. I don't know the Reed family personally and they don't know me, I met them through their blog. I can say that I have a daughter the same age as many of the Reed girls and my daughter (and son) also LOVE watching little house. This summer my daughter has watched the first and most of the second season and through talking to her and listening to her tell her friends about the show I've noticed her saying many of the same positive reviews. I don't make her watch it, she asks. So many positive traits that once were so evident in society are missing and I'm thankful there is a place my children can witness them being taught and "lived." The main actress who plays Laura has often given interviews that life off set was very much the same as life on set. People were kind and caring, they were a community of people who genuinely loved one another. I often wonder how well we know our neighbours, back then going to borrow a cup of sugar was common. How many of us even know our neighbours first names and family members? I don't think this is old fashioned, I think we as a culture lost it. I'm glad that what we lost can still be seen on a show like Little House and shared for new generations.
      Annalyn, I loved your review of the show and I know we'll continue to watch all the way through as well. My daughter has asked for all the seasons for either her birthday or Christmas. :)
      Catherine (Alberta Canada)

      Delete
  11. That was an excellent and well-written review, Annalyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! For my literature homeschooling class I have used the Little House books. I have incorporated the books into a unit study which lasted a couple of months. At the local Salvation Army I was able to find clothing that was similar to what was worn during the time period when the books were written. My children wore the clothing I bought at the Salvation Army for a play they put on. My children and I put on a play for drama class. Little House is a great book series which teaches great values to parents and children. Blessings, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Old fashioned is "in"!!!! My son is 12 and all of his friends think Llittle house and The Waltons are cool to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annalyn,
    I really enjoyed reading your review. As a child I watched Little House on the Praire. Your review reminded me that it was Nelly Olsen who epitomized the spoiled, poorly behaved child, that even my own boys act like today. I think they might learn something from watching Little House. I am going to give it a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since your family enjoys cooking together, you should check out the Little House cookbook. It has lots of old-timey recipes, and it can be a fun tie along to go with watching the shows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very well written review Annalyn and I think anonymous is VERY RUDE!Another one you may enjoy - it is my favourite - is Anne of Green Gables. It was a mini-series. The books are very good and many lessons can be learned for sure. It was a much less complicated world back in those days. I was born in the 40's and we lived a much less complicated life then....my children used to say that I was born in 'the cave days' :-)

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  17. Annayln, You ROCK, and so do all your siblings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review! We loved watching this program as a family also. There are 10 seasons, but the type of program you will want to pull out and watch for many years! I just saw on the internet that the family that lives where they filmed is doing all they can to protect the home and property from the nearby fire.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a fully awesome review of a fully awesome show. You should do more, and your siblings as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just remembered something funny my youngest daughter (she is now 43) asked me when she was about 4. "When you were a little girl Mummy, did you wear long dresses and bonnets like Little House on the Prairie?" It was when they were teenagers they thought I was born in 'the cave days'.

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  21. My daughters at home right now are 12, 14, and 16 and we have watched all 10 seasons through twice - they love them as much as I do!! Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We also watched the entire series~borrowed~from the library and it was the most peaceful summer ever. We also have LOVED watching "Road to Avonlea". It is a series also and with redeeming values and wonderful characters and lessons.

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.