Thursday, June 13, 2013

Nolan's Worth It

I'm sitting in the waiting room of the surgical center where Nolan is having the Cholesteatoma in his left ear removed.  He has been under for two and a half hours with still a half hour to go.  Bless his little heart.  He is such a trooper.  All was good with him until it was time for the nurse to take him back.  For the first time after three previous surgeries, I saw a healthy attachment with him when he showed hesitation in going with a stranger.  When asked if he wanted to go with her, he shook his head no, squeezed my hand a little tighter, and looked up to me for reassurance that things would be okay.  I tried my best to encourage him and he did go with her, but it broke my heart to watch him go.  

He knows now.  
After three previous surgeries he knows what's going on.  
He knows the routine of waking up early, and just he and I driving to the hospital.  
He knows to climb into the chair and to move around playfully when I change him into his gown.  
He knows to sit still when they take his blood pressure and to nod his head when they ask him if he understands that when he gets the mask he needs to put it on his mouth and breath the sleepy juice even though he really has no clue what they are saying.

Bless his heart.

Nolan is an amazing little boy.  He is smart.  Funny.  Ticklish.  Squeezable.  Loud.  Tender.  Sweet.  And adorably naughty at times.

And as I sit here I wonder how God could have blessed me with such a precious little man.

Nolan was supposed to have four surgeries on his ears.  Two on each side rotating back and forth over the course of two years.  The doctor told me today that she wants to try and do everything on his left ear during  this surgery so that he won't have to have another one next year.  Excited with this news, I was deflated just the same when she followed up that he would have to have his ears cleaned out every 6 months for the rest of his life and would most likely need hearing aids down the road.

As if he didn't have enough going on.

And yet Nolan remains this happy-go-lucky little munchkin of a boy who brings smiles to peoples' faces as if nothing was wrong.

He doesn't even know what an inspiring teacher he is to his Mom.

He is teaching me what it means to have joy.  
He is teaching me what it means not to complain.  
He is teaching me the importance of listening. 
He is teaching me that talking is overrated.  
He is teaching me to make the most of every moment.
He is teaching me that life is so very precious and that orphans need out.  We have learned that for Nolan it was a matter of life or death for him. 

As the doctor explained the surgery she said that restoring Nolan's hearing was secondary to saving his brain from getting a serious infection that could lead to death.   I am so thankful that we are getting this taken care of.

He is so worth it!


Ruth said...

Precious gorgeous Nolan! What a beautiful post Christine about such a loved son. Praying for Nolan's recovery.

Elizabeth said...

Your post is beautifully written ! I'll be praying for you and Nolan as you both must go through some adjustments right now.
I have had my ears cleaned out every 4 or 5 months since my childhood too and I know that especially for a little kid it is sometimes painful. I keep you in my thoughts and hope that Nolan will have a speedy recovery !

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

Poor thing! Praying he is okay. And so thankful that he has a loving family to take care of him!

Kathy C. said...

Wow. Hope he recovers quickly. And glad they found and did what needed to be done. A brain infections sounds pretty serious. I didn't know that could happen.

Heidi D said...

Praying that all goes well for him.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am glad that the physician caught Nolan's problem early before it became more serious. He is a real cutie pie and seem like he just goes with the flow of life. Pat

Melissa said...

This post brings tears to my eyes! God bless you, you are such an inspiration. Nolan is a cutie :)