Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Highlights

One day last week John and I went out on a "date".  A late night date to see the movie Not Today.  Since the movie is only showing in a few select theaters the closest one was over an hour away and didn't start until 10pm.  Thankfully it was an awesome movie bringing awareness to child trafficking and present day slavery or John and I would have fallen asleep.  On the drive home we both realized that we are not the spring chickens we used to be. 

John and Adam visited a second college campus this past weekend.  They were impressed with what they saw.  This particular college is close to home so Adam would continue to live here but the other college is awesome too.  He can't go wrong with either college which makes the decision all the more challenging.  We are figuring out financial aid and scholarships which will obviously play into which college he chooses.  If you could keep Adam in your thoughts-- he has some big decisions coming up in the next few weeks.

I took Paul to the eye doctor today-- a new one.  I don't feel comfortable with his current prescription and I wanted someone else to take a good look at him.  Sure enough she noticed some things that the other doctor failed to mention, so we are going to go back tomorrow for a dilation once they have his previous records.  He will most likely get bifocals with a stronger prescription in both eyes.  He will also begin patching therapy for one eye for the mild esotropia in his right eye.  I had always heard that after age eight patching didn't make much of a difference, but this doctor thinks that it could help just enough.  If it could help Paul's vision, it is worth a shot!

Now onto a few parenting "highlights":

Last Saturday, I was told by one son that another son had peed in the public shower at the ball park instead of the urinal.  When I asked him why, he didn't really know.

Last Saturday I looked over during the same softball game and saw one of the older brothers carrying Nolan on his shoulders while walking on the top bleachers.  I could have wrung his neck as I shouted at him to carefully put his brother down.  "Yeah, but Nolan liked it!"  Too bad, I didn't.

This same son of mine likes to walk along our brick wall fences in the backyard.  He also told me he wishes I would let him jump off our roof onto the trampoline.  Same son is excited that we are entertaining the idea of putting in a zip line in our backyard.  I think I am going crazy!

I look out the window to see two of the boys getting ready to go at it.  When I tried to settle it, one of the boys, like most always, could not listen to reason.  I ended up taking this son with me on a long errand I always have to run on Mondays so that we could have a long, long talk.  I think it went really well.  Today was a good day for him!  But with this son, all we could do is take it day by day.... sometimes hour by hour.

Yesterday the school called when I wasn't home and insisted that we come pick up Alex because of some "personal issues" that they didn't want to deal with although it is in his IEP that they are supposed to deal with it.  I was not home to handle this, so in the end, Julia got our neighbor to drive her to the school to get Alex after the school called John to get permission.  Bless her heart.  Needless to say, I kept him home today.  I am at a loss as to how to handle this.  On one hand, it is the law that they follow his IEP, but on the other I am concerned about how this affects Alex's peer relationships as he gets older.   Right now, he doesn't seem to be bothered or embarrassed by these accidents, but I think he will be bothered by it soon enough and then it will be too late because his classmates will remember. 

This evening Oliver hit the spoon of mashed peas out of my hand, and smeared it all over his face.  Repeat 6 or 7 times.  And repeat a few more times when older siblings thought they could get him to eat it better than Mom could.  I guess he doesn't like smashed peas.

Oliver is close to walking.  We all think he could be walking this summer!

6 comments:

  1. Praying for the college decision, that it will become clear and the pieces will come together.
    So glad you got Paul's eyes figured out, sorry he has more issues than originally found though!
    I think I just tossed my eye glass patches Z wore after offering them around! I think they covered his left eye glass though so wouldn't have worked. Let me know though if I need to pick up some right eye ones at the children's hospital gift shop here in town, they always have a "cool" assortment. :)
    Miss you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaleb has been wearing eye patches for two years. They don't seem to bother him. We get them at orthopad online. The thing is, remember to have him stop wearing them a week or two before portraits so he doesn't look like a raccoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's an example of why not to jump off a roof onto a trampoline. My husband is an ER doctor and decided it would be fun to let my twin boys jump off our garage roof.

    Luckily my husband tried it first, as he's heavier so he bounced less than the boys would have. He jumped, bounced off the trampoline, about 4 ft. above our trampoline net and landed on the ground. He had a concussion and broke 2 ribs being a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The school is not following the IEP? It is the law...end of story. I work in Special Education and help students with accidents all the time. Too bad so sad for the school. That really upsets me!! Sorry!!!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! It is really hard when a child has to make a decision regarding college and what major he or she wants to major in. My daughter attends a large state college that has a branch campus in Erie.My daughter has excellent professors because the college can afford to pay the higher salaries. The college has a lot of major research grant projects. The Erie campus branch was attracted to my daughter because of the research grants and research projects it has going on now. In fact my daughter is working on a major research project.She feels the research project will aid her getting into a school for graduate work. Good luck, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine, I thought this might be of interest to you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22245620

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.