Saturday, March 16, 2013

It's Friday!

Another week flew by just like that.  I did manage to fill out pages of forms for Adam, Caleb, Annalyn, and Julia to go to Mexico in a few weeks.  Each of them have to earn $50 to put towards the trip.  John will be taking Rachel, Sveta, Anna, and William to a family camp where they will be working to help fix it up.   And yes this event required that a bunch of forms be filled out too.  As did the forms for seven of the kids to go to Sky High tonight.  All those forms are perhaps the reason why the week flew by.  :)  Caleb, William, Galina, Annalyn, Sveta, Anastasia, and Anna had a blast at the indoor trampoline park.  The rest of us went to Paul and Andrew's baseball game.  The first at bat, Paul swung at every pitch-- even the lousy ones and was struck out.  The second at bat, he hit the ball hard and took off running.  He was so gung-ho that he kept running till he was tagged out at third.  But it didn't matter-- we were all thrilled including him and he did bring in two runs.  Way to go Paul!  Andrew had a great hit too but was called out for throwing the bat.   He was just so excited as were the other boys who were called out for throwing their bat.  When Paul saw this, he set his bat down as gently as he could before he took off running.  It was too funny!

Oliver has seven teeth now!  He recently got two of his top molars.  Talk about strange.  He hasn't gotten his canine teeth yet and only now is he cutting one of his incisors.  But with only seven teeth he is still beating his four year old brother Nolan who has a total of five teeth!

Nolan went back to the ENT today for a check-up.  The doctor removed the sponge in his ear and threw out the word cholesteatoma.  She said she can't say for sure until she gets a better look when Nolan is under anesthesia next week while she places at least one tube.  Of course, we are praying that Nolan doesn't have this.

Despite all the progress that Anastasia has made in school these last two years, I have requested that she be formally evaluated to see if she qualifies for an IEP.  She is going into high school next year and will have trouble completing the standard remedial curriculum so I hope an evaluation will help in figuring out where she needs the most help.  It is not that I do not think she can get a high school diploma-- I just don't want it to be such a struggle for her. 

We are continuing to eat more healthy but have slacked off some.  Still, the changes are obvious as our family is drinking more water, eating out way less, not buying junk food, and serving more fruits and veggies at every meal.  I don't want this to be a phase so I am not treating it like the latest fad. 
The change has been hard on most of my bio children who I did not insist try new things.  When I was younger I actually had the philosophy to wait to push "adult" foods on them like sautéed onions and so they never learned to like them.  Now, I serve up big helpings of cooked veggies like broccoli, kale, squash, red peppers, and onions to Alex, Dennis, and Nolan.  And guess what?? They eat it no problem.  Oh how I wish I had done some things differently.

13 comments:

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

I, too, wish I had fed my kids tons of veggies when they were really small. That's one of the many things I would change if I could do it all over again!

Elizabeth said...

I didn't know Anastasia is going to go to High School... Is she thrilled ? :) Are other of your girls going to public school too ?
Happy to read news from your family !

Christie Minich said...

Will the doctor remove it, if that is what it is? Sounds like the surgery would be way more involved than tubes, since it is located in the middle ear behind the ear drum...

Praying all goes well!

David&Monica said...

EXact same situation here! I am embarassed how my grown daughter eats and the poor habits I left her with. But the little ones eat the recommended 80-90% fruits and veggies and mostly nuts, seeds, grains for protien. And we have no processed (except a few gluten free vegan snacks) in the house. At celebrations, I let them go wild, but at home --- we eat to live not live to eat!

Jannae said...

the kids all seemed to have a blast at Sky Zone! William & Caleb reallllly impressed me with their jumping skills!

Kathy C. said...

I think your bios will be find processed foods or not. You've done so well as instilling the character traits they need that I would sweat them not having as many veggies as others. None of them look over weight or anything.

Courtney said...

I don't have nearly as many as you do, but I've found I can simplify forms that need to be filled out for multiple kids by filling in the common information (address, contact info, etc.) and then making copies. Then I just have to fill out a few lines on each one. It saves at least a little time! :)

Jaimie said...

It's actually pretty common for kids with Ds to get their teeth in an odd order! :)

Anonymous said...

Praying for Nolan and his ear issue :(

Followed y'all for almost 5 years now.

You are a sweet family. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Hi! My children have helped with filling mission cargo containers with medical supplies and clothing to be sent oversea. My family has given money so other youth from the Ukraine church we attend can go oversea on mission projects. I know that just filling the mission medical supplies was a lot of work. Everything had to be listed and doubled checked twice as to what was in the containers.Last year several young adult members from the Ukraine chuches in Erie got together as a group and went on a medical mission to Haiti and helped buid a church and a worked in a hospital.The young adults who came back were changed. They saw real poverty .But also saw the people who they helped changed.The people who were helped had their lives and living conditions improved.It was very eye opening for church members to hear the experiences of the young adults.Pat

Annie said...

You never know what children will like. As long as they weren't focused on UNHEALTHY things, I have never worried it much. When Sergei came he adored mushrooms, but now can't stand them...or green peppers. But all the kids will eat any fruit I can afford (that's the trick with healthy eating, sadly). Ramen - THAT we can afford!

mamaporuski said...

Praying Anastasia finds her rhythm and that the IEP helps.
Congrats boys on your baseball successes!
What a lot of comings and goings-hope you and John get some time together too :).

pahope said...

Our Ukraine born son had cholesteatoma. We just did his fourth surgery and he is now free of it and hopefully his partial hearing loss was restored. Our son's was discovered when they put tubes in his ears. If your little guy has this, feel free to write me if you'd like some info.