Thursday, December 13, 2012

Shortlived

Started the week with Adam being sick.  He laid on the couch Monday night when we decorated the tree and and enjoyed our new tradition with the chocolate fountain.  Turns out his low grade fever sickness was short lived and the doctor gave the okay for Adam to go ahead and have surgery to remove all of his wisdom teeth tomorrow.  Unfortunately I think he passed his little bug onto Nolan who is running a low fever now.  Poor little guy.

Oliver went for his echocardiogram today.  Due to the heavy rain the traffic was horrible and we were 5 minutes late to the appointment.  In hospital time that equates to waiting over an hour for our appointment.  Thankfully our interactions with some of the other little patients made the time pass quickly.  The sonographer said that Oliver was a star patient.  The timing just worked out where it was his naptime.   He slept through most of it!

Homeschooling is going better this week.  Yay!  Except for the day when my one daughter came to me to ask for help on her math supplement workbook on a page that was way ahead of where she actually was and she hadn't corrected any of the problems previously marked wrong.  "Math concepts build one on top of another at least with this particular workbook and it is foolish to go ahead when you don't understand the previous pages.  You need to go back and correct the problems you missed and then continue through the book  Let me know if you need help with those problems."  I couldn't have made myself more clear.  And then 10 minutes later my daughter came to me asking for help again on a page even further along in the book than the previous page she had asked help for.  It's like she didn't hear me.  And still she hadn't gone back to correct any of the previous problems.  When I explained to her how she wasn't listening to me and how disrespectful it was to come to me and ask for the thing I told her not to, she turned on the attitude.  It wasn't pleasant.   It is the same controlling attitude that she has when she sees I am in the middle of dinner or taking care of something else and she brings me Oliver and insists that he needs me when in reality he was fine playing on the floor in the living room.   Hmmm, I wonder if this is something that she will ever outgrow?  It comes and goes and thankfully I see so many wonderful things that make the trials pale in comparison, but still.   In the end her bad attitude was short lived which is huge progress for her.  That is something to smile about.


6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I think we have the same daughter! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, I am a math tutor. The first time I meet a new student I draw a staircase which is missing the treads. I tell them that we are there to add the treads and we have to start with the bottom one. If we try to jump to one of the higher ones without filling in each one in between, we're in danger of falling through -- having a calamity -- not having a strong foundation to climb on. This visual has always worked for me and they get busy trying to "build something strong." Hugs, JEB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!I have found that when my children are working on their math problems and I am right in the room with them as they are working on their problems .I can have my eyes on the situation .If they are honestly having a problem with doing a problem I am right their to assist them .It is very time consuming but has worked out well. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't is possible that she takes Oliver to express she's the one who needs you? Even she doesn't know it? Just an idea..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you. I have one daughter who loves control. It is very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a controller, too. Exhausting and frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.