Thursday, November 1, 2012

Field Trip

Today we went to the San Diego Wild Animal Park.  We left at 6:30 in the morning and though we hit fog and traffic, we still got there in time.  Rachel, Julia, and Annalyn went off to do their biology lab while the kids and I explored the park.  I rented a double stroller which turned out to be the best investment of the day.   First thing we saw were these parrots.

We all marveled at how the flamingos sleep on one leg.  How do they keep their balance?  William pointed out one smart bird that was lying down while sleeping.  Too funny.



Our favorite part of the day was feeding the ducks.  Sounds silly but it is true.  William pulled a quarter out of his pocket and Galina had one in her purse so together they bought some duck food for all of us.
Our favorite animal is now the Okapi.  Hands down we all think it is the most beautiful animal!
Look at this wild bird's tuft.
All the kids behaved pretty well today.  At one point, one of the little boys did not want to share a bag of popcorn but that is pretty minor looking back on the entire day.
On the way home we stopped by In and Out for lunch.
This is the first field trip for the kids since we began homeschooling two years ago so it was a huge milestone for me to take them all out.  For whatever reason it just seemed too overwhelming and something always seemed to come up.  Rather than have John or Adam and Caleb get Alex and Dennis ready for school and get them after school, I just took them with us.  It worked out great!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now Julia, John, and Jonny have poison oak.  Jonny's ear is twice the other one.  Julia has it all over her legs and arms.  John is miserably itchy too.  Oatmeal baths and Benadryl seems to bring some relief.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I got a question about celebrating Halloween.  I plan to answer it in a digest.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them at the same time.

17 comments:

The Tiny Team said...

Oh nice! We go there a lot!

The Robins' Nest said...

How cool you got to go on a field trip there! We were going to go when we were in So. Cal in May, but it was pretty pricey. I bet the best part about your home school field trip is that you didn't have to fill out permission slips for everyone!

Mama D's Dozen said...

The San Diego Wild Animal Park is seriously my MOST FAVORITE "zoo" anywhere . . . and I have been to quite a few zoos and wild animal parks. I even prefer it over the famous San Diego Zoo.

So glad you took the kids on a field trip. I knew you could to it. Brings back so many fond memories of when I was homeschooling 8 kids (plus 2 babes/toddlers at home). I only have 4 living at home this year and it is LONELY. I MISS all of the years with a house FULL of kids . . . and all of the amazing field thrips that we took over the years. (This is my 22nd year of homeschooling. My how time flies.)

Glad your day was BLESSED!


Laurel :)

Simple Living said...

Hi Christine,

Buy a bottle of Milk of Magnesia at the $ Store and rub it on the poison oak spots. It should help the itch and help dry and heal it up.

You can Google about this if you like. It has helped a lot of people with poison ivy or poison oak and it worked for some in our family as well. I hope everyone feels well soon.
By the way, I love reading your blog!

Bonnie, mom to 8

Anonymous said...

I have a question that I think you answered before, but I can't seem to remember. If one of your children are gay/lesbian, would you want them to come out to you, and would you support them, or would you think that it was a "choice" and they need to see a therapist?

Not trying to attack your beliefs or anything, I am just curious your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how Anastasia's arms were doing, since you mentionned a few months ago that wher arm was cold a long time after she came back from outisde. Did you find out something ?
How is homeschool doing, do you homeschool Nolan too ? By the way, he's adorable !!
Reading your blog is always a pleasure :)

Anonymous said...

This stuff is expensive but it worked like a miracle for me
http://www.zanfel.com/help/

for poison ivy/oak

m

teamgile said...

I get poison ivy horribly! Always have. I had it just this summer and it was horrible, on my face in my eye, ear and nose. Just a mess. I went on line to see if anyone had any remedies. Here is one that works so well!!! AND it brought me great relief!

A hair dryer! You put it on hot and blow the hot air on your bumps. At first it itches even worse, but they it is like you are scratching that itch and it feels great. When you are done, the itching is gone for a few hours and while all this is going on, it is drying up the bumps as well. It isn't a sure cure, but it sure felt great!!! It was a super alternative to scratching!!!

Blessings,
Sue

Mama Ds Dozen said...

I linked you in the sidebar of my new Ministry Blog:

http://musingsofamentormom.blogspot.com

under "Favorite Mommy Blogs". :)

Hope your weekend is BLESSED!


Laurel
mama of 12

Anonymous said...

I loved this post ! The kids seem to be enjoying this field trip ! I was wondering how a "big" sibling group like yours was interacting ? Are there "groups", special bonds, etc ? Do the boys get along well with the girls, the big kids well with the ougner kids ? I was just wondering, but if you find it too personnal,don't answer.Thansk for sharing your experiences with us ! :)

Marilyn said...

What fun you all had - I can tell by the smiling faces of the children :-) You are such a good Mum and teacher!

Marilyn from Canada

Erin said...

I think I remember reading something about Flamingos - something about only half of their body sleeps at any one time. Worth getting one of your kids to do some research on it.

Anonymous said...

I get chronic hives and like "Sarna" lotion (OTC, but you might have to ask the pharmacist for it behind the counter).

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love taking my children to field trips at the Erie, Pa Zoo.It is so awesome. The zoo has some wonderful animals, lions, tigers bear,several primates, and even a children petting zoo.My children love it. There is also a beautiful in door garden.At Halloween the zoo is all decorated like a big Halloween fun place-very bright and cheery.Pat

Elizabeth said...

Hi ! I was wondering... What are Adam's plans for next year after High School ? Does he plan to go to college or university or... ? How about Caleb and Rachel, do they know what they'll do after graduating from High School ?
Thanks for sharing your stories !!

Tala said...

If you don't mind my asking (and of course you don't need to by any means) is Anna still on growth hormones?

Have you done purity rings with your other kids besides Adam/Rachel/Caleb?

Anonymous said...

Gardisil are you for it or against it?