Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Beside Myself!!

"HELLO?!  OPERATOR!! GET SOME ONE OVER HERE QUICK!  MY DAUGHTER-- SHE IS FAINTING OR HAVING A SEIZURE!  JUST GET HERE QUICK!  WHAT?  OF COURSE SHE NEEDS MEDICAL ATTENTION!!  PLEASE JUST GET SOMEONE HERE QUICK!  NOW!  PLEASE!!!!!"

Yes that was me.  I called 911.  And I was beside myself  the whole time.  

Let me back up.  Julia and I had been upstairs in my bathroom where she was taking a warm oatmeal bath.  She had been in there for 20 minutes.  I helped her out and she sat on the edge of the tub wrapped in towels to let her legs drip dry.  I was down on the floor at her feet gently applying pressure with a q-tip to some of the bigger blisters to bring some relief.  I kept asking her if I was hurting her but she said it actually felt good.
John came in and we were making small talk.  He even pulled up his pant leg to compare his rash to hers.  He asked Julia a question and she didn't answer.  I asked her a question.  "Are you alright Julia?" 
No answer.
She was staring off into space.  She couldn't talk.  We didn't think she looked well at all.
She was turning pale green in color.  Her eyes were going back in her head and John grabbed her to keep from falling back.
I lost it.  Literally.  The adrenaline rushed through me in ways I could not control.
I rushed to grab the phone.  I yelled for the kids to get our neighbors who are both in the medical field.  I think one is a PA-C.
I was scared with every fiber of my existence.
I thought of God but I was in panic mode-- first.
It is absolutely insane-- the things that went through my head as the seconds ticked by waiting for the paramedics to get there.
Turns out Julia fainted-- something about a vasovagal response.
Crazy how a few minutes can seem like eternity.
Amazing how sick I felt to my stomach.  Reminded me of this time
Thank God for our neighbors who came over and talked us through things.  Julia was conscious way before the paramedics got there, but she too was very scared.  She had tingling going on in her extremities and she didn't feel well.  Praise the Lord all her vitals by this time were back to normal.
She was going to be okay.  They even commented that her staph infection didn't look too bad.

Julia is doing much better now.  She is in our room with John watching Star Wars.
She remembers pretty much everything.  She remembers us asking her questions, and she felt like she was being rude by not answering.  But she couldn't.  Bless her heart.

Your prayers are much appreciated for Julia right now.

32 comments:

  1. Praying for sweet Julia and her parents! I pray that she feels better and back to her usual self soon! And no more calls to 911!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness she is having a hard time. Hope she is completely healed soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How frightening! So sorry! Praying you all get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So scary! Glad she's ok! Calling 911 is something no one should ever have to do, but I'm so grateful they are there when you need them! Praying for a full recovery for her, and that poison oak will be gone in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh how very scary. Bless Julia's heart. Prayers for quick recovery and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Christine and family,
    Prayers for continued healing and NO MORE CRAZYNESS-at least this week :).
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my granddaughters has these vasovagal spells at times. She has an entirely different condtion, but it IS scary. Poor baby, I know Julia was scared! And I probably would have reacted as you did. From what you've said the medical people didn't seem to think it was too serious, and she was returning to normal. I'll be so glad when this poison oak goes away. I'm praying for all of you involved! Hang in there! Your sweet girl will return when the bumps leave. You must have a jungle of poison oak around there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! How scary!!!! I can understand your panic and fright considering the staph infection , the poison oak...Whew, I am so glad you are o.k....

    Although I also admit when I was reading your description and before I got to the end, I was reminded of when this happened to me when I was about Julia´s age....so I was thinking faint spell...I had just gotten out of the shower like Julia and I was standing and all of asudden I coud not see....just like that...And I screamed MOM, I CAN¨T SEE!!! and she peeked in teh dor and said DO you have soap in your eyes ?? and then she saw me look up, eyes wide open saying I can´t see!!! and then I fainted.....

    It was SCARY....for her and for me...

    I AM SO GLAD she is better...Poor Julia...poor you...HUGS...It was a good thing you were with her....being the aweseom Mom you are...: )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness!! I would have reacted the same way as you. I think God understands. . .prayers for you all that this passes and good health returns to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!I am glad your daughter was o.k. .It is at times of trials that I think about how blessed I am with my children's health needs being stable .To have great health is a blessing.Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad she is fine now. What a scary time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. I would have been terrified. So thankful she is doing alright and will continue praying for relief.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How terrifying! I'm so glad she's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How scary! I hope she gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Christine. Will pray for quick healing. Bless her heart...and yours.

    Love,
    Allison
    www.togiveafutureandahope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh friend I soooo understand your panic and fear. I vividly remember the first time my daughter had a seizure and the tightening in my chest and throat from raw fear! So thankful even when we don't have words or clarity to pray God is always near and knows our needs! Prayers for Julia continue....

    ReplyDelete
  17. This stuff does work. I suffered for 2 weeks before I broke down and bought it. They had an article in our newspaper about it. It worked right away and it is a soap not a medicine. It has a chemical in it that can remove the urushiol
    http://www.zanfel.com/help/

    regular soap can't get it off but this stuff can remove it

    all the best
    m

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found the article in the Baltimore Sun paper on "Zanfel" so you know it is not just another odd remedy. This did work for me

    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2002-07-17/news/0207170162_1_poison-ivy-itching-condescension

    m

    ReplyDelete
  19. After having our daughter faint several times, getting all kinds of testing done, etc., we found out she has vasovagal syncope. It is very common in teenaged girls and often brought on after a warm bath or while doing their hair. We were told to keep our daughter well-hydrated and to have her eat a little more salt every day (with her foods). So far she has been able to keep it in check. It sure was a scary thing to go through though before we knew what was happening. Thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness that is terrifying! I've only been a silent reader, but I wanted to stop by to make sure I let you know that I was scared stiff by your post. Poor Julia. I'm glad she's ok, and that it wasn't a seizure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Praying for yall! I hope she is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no! Poor Julia!! So glad to read that all was ok. How terrifying.

    She is just the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that I mentioned Julia in a letter I wrote to God today.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Christine, tears in my eyes reading this! Praying for that sweet Julia and her Mom:-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Scary. Prayers to you all with the rash stuff and blessings that she is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My goodness! Julia has really had a trying time lately, and she is keeping all your parenting skills, emotions, etc well tuned! Praying for some boredom to soon come, just for a little bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my, how scary!! So glad to hear all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That would scare the daylights out of anyone. Soooooo glad to read she is doing better.

    Cheryl in ID

    ReplyDelete
  29. i've had vasovagal episodes like that and they're not fun at all! Hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just wanted to leave a comment...I'm a new lurker, but after having read this, I hoped my story could leave you some peace of mind.
    My name is Mackenzie. I'm a twenty-year old female. And I have vaso vagal syncope. This incident you described happens to me daily. It's quite common in teenaged girls, as are slight headaches, as described a few posts up. Also known as Neurocardiogenic Syncope, such incidents are caused by a drop (or raise) in blood pressure and subsequent dropping or raising of the heart rate. When you have an episode, you usually have cold sweats, pale face, a "black tunnel" like vision, dizziness, your stomach is in knots, and you often are shaky. Afterwards, you have a feeling of general unwellness and fatigue. Luckally, MOST grow out of this condition! If she's having troubles still, when standing for long periods, quickly standing, standing in heat, or (sorry to mention it) passing a bowl movement, you may want to have her tested. An eletrophysiolgost cardiologist is who you'd want to see. they'll do an echo to get rid of possibilites like a murmer, and a tilt table test. This test is intended to make her pass out. This is a VERY unplesent test, but it's the only way to test for NCS or POTS (a more severe version of syncope). For your peace of mind you may want to run these tests if you can afford to. If she ends up having it, I would be more than happy to give you, and her, my advise for living with this condition. it's easy to manage if done right! my email is cuddlesthekitty9@gmail.com (silly email, right?) Feel free to contact me any time!
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.