Wednesday, September 26, 2012

It's Always Something

I made yogurt last night.  It sat out all night like the recipe calls for and this morning I thought it looked pretty good.  I felt like such an awesome Mom that I could feed my family something as wholesome as homemade yogurt.  Fast forward a few hours so it is nice and chilled and it reminds me of glue.  Not even worthy of a picture.  It tastes alright and it is perfect to mix in Oliver's oatmeal and applesauce but certainly not what I had in mind.  What did I do wrong?  I used the easiest recipe and I still thought it was time consuming.  I guess I'm not cut out to make everything I try my hands at.

Another child tested positive for H. Pylori.  Yay for me the medicine dispensing queen.   At least this time the child is older so all of their meds are in pill form.  Alex and Dennis just finished their meds and I will have them retested in 6 weeks.   Thankfully another child tested negative too so they don't need meds as well.

I took Nolan for his pre-op today.  Unfortunately I didn't get the message that I needn't come in since the surgery was canceled at the one hospital.  Even though they will admit patients as young as four, since this is Nolan's first surgery here in the states, the hospital still said no.  So Nolan gets to have his cleft palate surgery at the hospital I was trying to avoid.  And though I made it to this appointment and the doctor saw Nolan and cleared him for surgery, we get to go to two more pre-op appointments because that is this particular hospital's policy.  I'm just thrilled because I have nothing better to do with my time than go to three pre-op appointments.  Who knows when Nolan's surgery will be now.  It could be next week or in three weeks.  Nothing like a good ol' surprise! :)

Tomorrow Nolan is being evaluated by the school district.  I requested that he be tested back in August but they wanted to wait till after his cleft was fixed.  At first that was going to be in late August so I agreed to that.  Even though his surgery is moved to October the school district still wanted to wait till he was healed before they evaluate him which would delay the testing till mid November at the earliest.  With that being the case, he would not start receiving services until the first week of January.  Since this is out of the time frame allowed, of course they wanted me to write a letter stating that I was okay with the delay.  But I wasn't okay with it.  And I told them my reasoning.  And really, I wasn't about to back down.  So like I said-- testing is tomorrow.  I don't think they will do much with speech evaluation but at least they can see that he qualifies.  As of now I still do not know what hand he prefers to write with and I have no clue as to how to help him pick a hand and stick with it.  He needs OT and I am curious to see what they say about pre-k since the cut off date for kindergarten has been moved up.

When I was driving with Paul in the van the other day, we passed a train. "Mom, is there elephants and lions in those trains?  And unicorns?  You know the ones with the horns that can poke you?"  I had to chuckle.

I just finished reading the first Diary of a Wimpy Kid book while waiting for the girls during voice lessons.  It was so funny!  And crazy as it sounds, I could totally relate to the parents.  Have you read the book?  I ask because William especially adores these books and pretty much won't read anything else.  I'm wondering if there are other books out there like them.  I know of a few but it would be great to learn of a few others.

Thanks for sharing all of your favorite books.  I've made a list of them to check out next time I am at the resource center.

20 comments:

  1. It is always something, isn't it? No idea about the Wimpy Kid books, but it made me think of my fave childhood books. One was The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hank the Cow Dog..... I think there are close to 60 books in the series and all of our kids have LOVED HANK. There are also story CD's to go along with the books. For our reluctant readers we let them listen to the story and THEN read the book so they can feel and hear and see what they are reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you write about Diary of a Wimpy Kid. We just picked that up at the library this week!
    My daughter loved it and at some points was trying to tell me about it and was laughing so hard she couldn't actually speak.
    I asked her what books were as funny as that and she said William should also try 'Billionaire Boy' by David Walliams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heroes of Olympus is a great series by Rick Riordan. My kids love it!

    Also, on your sidebar, the old link to my old blog is still up. Would you mind changing it to the current link?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried the Tom Gates books? My son LOVED diary of a whimpy Kid and really loves these books! We are in England so unsure if they sell them in America....I'm sure they do! :) Heres a link to the Amazon page! They are set out quite like the Wimpy Kid books, they are fun! :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Brilliant-World-Tom-Gates-Pichon/dp/1407120697/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348743331&sr=8-2&keywords=tom+gates

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hospital Jasmine had multiple cranio facial surgery at is 4 1/2 hours away so they have to get organized for us! No making three or four trips. We make one trip--she pre ops the day before surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sat down and made a list of the best (in my opinion & I'm pretty traditional in my books so no modern weird ones)picture books for kids. My goal was to read as many to the twins summer 2011 as I could.
    http://casselcrew.blogspot.com/2011/04/100-picture-books-everyone-should-read.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. For boys all the "Great Brain" books are wonderful Aidan loved them so much that when he finished the last one, I found him sitting in his bed crying!

    He and his wife and the boys just came to visit a couple of weeks ago, and he loaded up all his "Great Brain" books for his boys.

    For girls, the Betsy-Tacy series is absolutely wonderful. (Maud Hart Lovelace) I didn't read these until I was an adult, now I read them BY MYSELF, I love them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A quick comment on picking a hand, which hand does he tend to eat with? If you hold out a toy or treat, which hand does he tend to reach with? Although we tend to have a preference, some people are actually quite ambidextrous. I know I am. I remember switching my writing hands quite a bit as a kid, and it wasn't until I was in the 4th grade that my teacher made me decide once and for all. I settled on being a Lefty, but I still do quite a few things right-handed, and can do plenty of things equally well with both hands (such as hammer a nail, putt a golfball, or bowl).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you read the Captain Underpants series? My guy loves them!

    Sorry to hear about the yogurt - I totally understand, it's so frustrating to put in all that work and have it turn out not quite right. can't tell you how many sewing projects have gotten thrown on the floor and stomped on because of that same thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter shared a recipe on Facebook for crockpot home-made yogurt. She said it was easy. I have asked her to re-post it and will share it with you when I get it.
    Tharen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Link to the crockpot yogurt recipe:
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

    From Tharen

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about Sideways Stories from Wayside School? There are a couple books, including one with very funny math puzzles for the kids to figure out, like BOYS + BOYS = SILLY and GIRLS + GIRLS = SILLY (each letter represents a different number). The math puzzles are tough, but the stories are hilarious. We monopolized our library's books on tape for many years, and are about to enter that stage again.

    Martita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I used almond milk I the overnight oatmeal... Also have used whole milk when I make it for baby William. I emailed you the link...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never read Diary of Wimpy Kid, but I work at a public school, and all my boys who LOVE Diary of a Wimpy Kid also LOVE the Big Nate books By Lincoln Peirce. I never read those either, but the same boys adore both series!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Z and I are reading the Boxcar Children series.
    So sorry about the yogurt, it sounded so yummy!
    I am glad for the testing, putting things off only puts them that much further behind. Praying for a great test administrator for you both!
    God has Nolan's surgery in HIS plan. Praying that God gives the doctors wisdom and grace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, thanks for posting this question- now I have some new book ideas, too!! I read LOTS of chapter books to our kids- we're currently 'into' the Trixie Belden, and Boxcar Children. We've read all the Magic Treehouse books, too- our kids love those! Enid Blyton is a popular author on this side of the ocean- don't know if you can find her books there. We especially liked the Adventure series. Since we don't have a large variety of English books here, I got a Kindle and our we've again had a whole lot of fun books to read - now I'll be searching for many of the books your blog readers have mentioned!

    These are likely quite different than 'Diary of a Whimpy Kid'- takes a little bit to get into the story, and they are without many pictures, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read somewhere about laying the child on back, putting pencil on midline of chest, having them close eyes and grab pencil. You can google it. Our daughter who is pretty ambidextrous consistently used her right hand to do this, so now whenever she uses the left I tell her, "no, you're right handed." I'm pretty much hoping I'm right, but I have heard that being unable to tell handedness is a sign of developmental immaturity, so I think it is important to try to start finding which Nolan is and getting him to use that hand consistently. Good luck! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. "George's Secret Key to the Universe" by Stephen and Lucy Hawking is also a favourite book (and the sequels) among my pre-teens and teens. Yes, it's that Stephen Hawking. This is a brilliant series introducing great science concepts to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My daughter's OT therapist told us to put her silverware in the middle of her plate for a week and whichever hand she consistently used to pick it up with would be her dominate hand. However, although she's now mostly left-handed, she does bat, throw, and catch with her right hand.

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.