Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Chicken Was Pretty Good Too

Today we went swimming.  A few of the girls wanted to stay home so they watched Alex who is still not able to swim because of his surgery.  Alex wanted to go but I thought it would be more torturous for him to watch.  Out of sight out of mind.  I think they watched a movie.   The function of the surgery is making life easier than I even imagined.  Praise God for that.  Alex absolutely loves it.  It has changed our relationship.  Honestly, taking care of the bowel management was taking its toll on both of us constantly causing friction.  Neither of us wanted to be in the bathroom together and did it purely out of necessity.  He often fought me and no matter how hard we tried to make it work he was having more and more accidents.  I was always worrying about kids teasing him too-- but now it looks like he may have the freedom from most future accidents like I had hoped.  So far so good.  Tomorrow he has his kidney ultrasound and soon he will see the Spina Bifida Team for his yearly check-up.  When he was in the hospital he was given his bladder relaxing medicine in pill form instead of liquid and he swallowed it no problem.  Now that he has graduated to swallowing pills I am excited to request his new prescription in pill form.

Nolan is a fish.  The ENT has encouraged us to let him swim and enjoy the summer because it will actually help clean out the built up wax in his ear.  One less thing to worry about.  Ahhh, music to my ears (excuse the pun).
I remember a few years back I declared that Dennis would be swimming on his own in no time.  Fast forward to this summer and he is still not swimming on his own.  However we have made great progress since he now loves the water and is confident to swim all over the pool with only these arm floaties.   As I get older and continue to learn I think it is wisest to say that Dennis will be swimming on his own when he is good and ready and not when I say.
I love the fact that my kids enjoy hanging out with each other.
Nolan no longer goes pee pee in the pool.  He has asked me to take him potty the last three times we have been to the pool.  After swimming for quite some time he was ready to get out.  Jonny invited him to sit with him and Nolan couldn't be happier.
Paul, Andrew, and Anna getting warm by laying on the hot cement.
Caleb and Oliver hang out all the time.  Shhh, but Caleb even changed one of Ollipops poopy diapers. :)  (That is a nickname one of the kids thought up and the name seems to be sticking.  But it's perfect since Oliver is as sweet as a lollipop!)
Tonight we made fried chicken.  We sampled a piece and it still seemed a bit raw in the center.  I didn't want to fry it longer and have it burn so I stuck it in the oven for 30 minutes and it came out perfect!
William who is hardest to please said it compared to KFC's chicken and Alex ate four drumsticks!
Yesterday and today I went through all of Paul's, Andrew's, Jonny's, and William's clothes.  We got rid of anything that was stained or torn and passed along clothes that were too small to whoever is next in line.  Then I passed out the back to school clothes.  Can you believe they already have their first day outfits and school doesn't start for another couple weeks?  They are so excited over how neat and clean everything is now that they promise me that they are going to keep their drawers like this forever!  Wouldn't that be nice!

7 comments:

  1. I love to see the progress everyone is making! I love the name Oliver. One of my beagles is named Oliver, and I call him Olliepop, or ollaroo all the time-- so catchy and just adorable!

    ~sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love to see baby oliver..he is really cute!! i dont want to see him to grow up..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine, my name is Christine also and I live in Sydney NSW Australia with my 4 biological kids. My oldest daughter is 9 and I have three boys 7,5 and 3.I started following your blog since Alex's adoption (I think). I love following your life journey and your family. I can see Gods amazing work in your family and your faith inspires me. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been teaching the kids to swim this summer. Lessons are too frustrating due to having to close the pool for 30 minutes for thunder or lightening. There were no refunds or make up lessons so we would lose more money than we got lesson time.

    It looks like everyone is having a fun summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't properly delurk on a post with 103 comments.
    I'm a 33 year old female from St. Peters, Mo
    I can't remember when I started reading your blog maybe 3 years ago. I believe you already had Dennis. I read blogs because they relax me and they are like a soap opera but real life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!This year I did not take my children for swimming lessons. My children have tennis lessons three times a week for this summer. They really did not want to take swimming lessons maybe next year?Happy swimming Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple of WEEKS? That is TOO soon!

    but, it always is. Still, it is only July.

    Nolan is my little heardthrob.

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.