Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

I can't believe how productive we have been this year!  And to think, it all began with a mouse.

Let me back up.  See-- my Mom and Aunt have been downsizing over the last couple of months and everything has been trickling down to us because you know-- we can obviously use it. ;)

Don't get me wrong, it is much appreciated-- how else would I get a lifetime supply of bandages, hair tonic, paper clips, and Christmas wrapping?  The slowly growing pile wasn't even bothering me much because I knew I'd go through it eventually-- and it was in the garage.  After all, I only had to look at it when I got in and out of the van.

But things changed after Annalyn sited a huge lizard in our garage.  Then Anna and Galina saw something scamper under the car.  Then John and William thought they saw a big rat!

John's declaration to me last night-- "Christine, tomorrow we are going through the boxes and cleaning out the garage!"

As this was going on, our family (including myself) was going through Internet and TV detox.   They were not even allowed to have earphones on with their MP3 players.  They were not happy campers and so when John offered computer time for whoever caught the mouse-- that became the kids' entertainment for the evening.

Let's just say the garage was a disaster this morning!

But as a family, we cleared it out!   Oh if we could be this productive all year, we will get lots accomplished.

In addition to the clean garage, we are limiting our computer, texting, music, and tv watching (actually DVDs).  Hopefully, we can all get used to this and actually find ourselves with more time for building relationships with each other and God. 

Galina and Anastasia gave John and I coupons so he cashed one in to have his car cleaned inside and out.  What a wonderful gift!

Rachel is getting ready to take finals next week.   She is switching to a higher level of math, so please wish her well!

Caleb has a visitor over today-- his girlfriend.  Let's just say, I can't believe how fast they are growing up.

P.S.  When John and I were out for our anniversary, I was asked for ID.  Seriously. :)

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun time... :)
    We have been working on cleaning out our attic. A friend's things were moved in, and then he died. So I have this apt. full of things in my ATTIC!
    Slowly we have been getting rid, but it is time to finish the job. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

    I love getting coupons for Christmas. I already turned one in for a pedicure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had such a busy and challenging year with moving, doctor visits, changes in family, but you faced it with faith and courage. May the Lord continue to inspire you to be the Psalm 113 "joyful mother of children" in this new year. Blessings in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspirational!!! Love it. . .now to do my closets. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. i need to get more productive with organizing. hopefully this week. happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to clean out my 'disaster zone' for a mouse once! I loved the i.d thing! I got I.D'd for a pair of scissors! I'm not sure about America but here in England we get i.d'd for knives and sharp dangerous things....but scissors!! And I'm 30!!! And I had my 10 year old with me!! I think its 16 the age limit! Other ridiculous things I have been i.d'd for (while being over 25) have been glue, a 15 video, hayfever medicine, sparklers now scissors! I've had 8 people ask me if my mum was home (mostly I say no!) and one boy ask if I was in his class at school. It is funny but it can grate when people don't take me seriously though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't the New Year a great time for reevaluating the patterns in our life? It is always shocking to me to see how what I value is not what consumes my time, or my children's time. Right now they are playing a board game together, laughing and competing, after jumping on the trampoline. That wouldn't happen if they had the option of easy entertainment.

    I need the same message--Now I need to stop catching up on reading blogs and go join them!

    Happy New Year!

    Martita

    ReplyDelete
  7. hI tHE LAST MONTH i HAVE BEEN CLEANING OUT CLOSETS.i ONLY HAVE ON MORE TO DO. i HAVE GONE THREW ALL CLOTHES AND TOYS AND TOSSED OR DONATED. pAT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love a picture of the mouse! Congrats on getting carded.

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.