Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Full Weekend

I don't know where the week went. Do you? It just flew by in a blur.
Oh well, today is a new day.

Caleb is going to the homecoming dance tonight with a girl he met at church. They have liked each other for some time-- but they are taking it real slow. I was hesitant at first about the relationship but I have tired to remain open minded. It's going at a pace that I think we can all be comfortable with. That is the one thing I think keeps our family going strong. We want to be willing to bend, hear each other out, keep lines of communication open, and most of all be willing to change. It is hard, but I can't deny that my kids are growing up.

Today we are making a big pot of borscht, after our devotional-- reading another chapter out of Katie's book. Her love for the Lord is so contagious! If you want a great read that you can share with your family-- I encourage you to get this book!

Tonight I get to meet up with other adoptive Moms for a night out! I am so looking forward to it! Not because I need a break or anything.... :)

And lastly, tomorrow we are having company. David, the founder of River of Joy is coming!

P.S. Thank you for all the recipes! As I read through them, I can see the variety the cookbook is going to have. I'm sure it going to be great. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hearing you talk about that book reminded me of some great books I think your girls would enjoy. The first is the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn. It is amazing and really opened my eyes to why it is important to wait! The other is Praying for Your Future Husband by Robin Jones Gunn. It is amazing and allowed me to dig deeper in to the true meaning of marriage. It might not be suitable now, but would be wonderful to have on hand for later :) Although, I don't think it's ever too early to start praying for your spouse (and I'm sure you've taught your kids this)! I absolutely love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine,
    Even before your boys' ages, we had been discussing and reading books like, "Why I Kissed Dating Good-bye." We encouraged them not to date in high school, and told them it was the man's responsibility to guard his heart and her heart for their future spouses. Acting like the future spouse was in the room was a frequent parting remark as they went off! That said, I think encouragement to chastity and not prohibition is the way to go, although we will not lend support to things we disagree with (no use of our cars for dates, etc.). We did let them go willingly to the big moments of HS, like homecoming/prom, and yet each time it proved to be a mistake for them in the end, as some heartbreak ensued as a result of getting too close too soon (those romantic setups are a recipe for overstepping boundaries). Still I would do it again, as I would never want them to have a memory that I denied them such important rites of passage. However, one of our boys only truly kissed his spouse, and the other had a few early smooches but only really dated his now-wife! It can be done, and they took the lead in their own purity. It truly was a joy to marry them to fabulous young women, confident that their path to marriage had been so true. Now, they are the biggest leaders for their younger siblings, and so Adam and Caleb have some huge responsibility on their young shoulders. Parenting teens has its own challenges, even when they are such sweet young men as your sons.
    God bless, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. have u heard about this..i wish to nominate u but i dont noe which country u from..i personaly felt that u are the most suitable person that should min this award :)

    http://awards.nuffnang.com/2011/nominate/best-parenting-blog/#start-nomi

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.