Monday, October 31, 2011

Digest 22

Anonymous said...

Didn't you pick the Ukraine so you can marry off your daughter?
October 11, 2011 11:46 AM

My husband actually jumped in on this one wondering, "What in the world does this even mean?"

Liz said...

Since you didn't approve my last comment regarding sending kids too bed I am worried that you took it the wrong way. I in no way intended for it to be an insult to you or your parenting. It was an honest question and I apologize if I offended you in any way.
October 14, 2011 10:47 PM

Yes I do remember your comment about me putting Paul and myself to bed when things got frustrating with schoolwork.  I must have taken it the wrong way.  I also failed to mention that Paul has worked below his ability a time or two because he didn't want to be challenged.  I wondered if this was one of those times.  It takes time before a parent gets to know their child enough to realize when they are truly struggling or just pretending to be so that they are not challenged.  Yes, I ended our unproductive evening by putting us both to bed.  I chose to share this in hopes that it might encourage others who have felt frustrated during homework time-- especially when you think your child is capable of more then they are letting on.


Chenning said...

Christine, I found your blog just a couple of weeks ago and have stayed up many nights to "catch up" your family's adventures and journey! I am sure it must be right under my nose somewhere on this site, but I cannot find your e-mail address. I wanted to know if Dennis needed any clothes? I have some hand me downs if you are interested. I know you have boys, too, so maybe you are set.
October 14, 2011 5:32 PM

My email is thereed8 at yahoo dot com and yes we could always use clothes since he is so rough on them and is growing like a weed anyway.  I noticed you are in L.A.  Maybe we can meet up for coffee or dinner sometime.
Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Anastasia! To see such joy is so wonderful especially after just putting my two year old Russian diva to bed after she screamed at the other 4 of us all day! Whew! She has turned our household on it's ear and my two boys are non too pleased with her behavior.To see Anastasia so just makes me remember this is why I do this! To see your child look like Anastasia does! I also think Galina looks very different and very happy too....I see a huge change in her. Do you agree?
October 16, 2011 4:42 PM

Yes I see a definite change in Galina.  It is a blessing to see her blossom before our eyes.


teamgile said...

Impressive. Can you tell me what curr. You used to do this? I would love to do it with my kids.
October 15, 2011 4:34 PM

Thank you.  It must have been a one time talent, because I have tried numerous times to draw another picture just like the first cornucopia, and I have been unsuccessful.  There isn't a set curriculum-- just a book that shows step by step drawing.


Claire said...

Is Alex taking cranberry capsules as well
? They are very helpful for preventing UTIs
October 17, 2011 1:43 AM

I should have thought of cranberries.  No he isn't taking capsules, but I did buy some cranberry juice.  I took Alex back to the doctor last Friday to have his urine tested again and the doctor called today to say that an infection is still present.  He will begin his third round of antibiotics.  Ugh.  At least he doesn't have a fever.


Linda mc cowan said...

I wonder if you could give me any advice to pass on to a friend. She & her husband have no children, but just took in 2 orphan teenage boys. They (my friends) are missionaries in Central America. The boys have a tutor but don't go to school. My friends' challenges right now are keeping the boys occupied all day, plus the foster parents' loss of privacy and alone time. What could I tell them?
October 19, 2011 10:44 AM

I suggest paper and colored pencils.  Or perhaps scrap wood, nails, and a hammer.  Or let them cook.   As for private time, tell them to set their alarm for 3 am.  Just kidding.  Why don't they go on long walks along a lake or something.  The boys can run around or fish while the parents talk.


Megan said...

Hi Christine,
I have two I'd like to share. They aren't the most eloquent, but they are two of my favorites from my mom and whenever I'm at her house, I always ask for one or the other. They are essentially one pot meals - except for the added noodles/rice.
1) Slop (no really...it tastes great)
1 lb. ground beef (or you can use ground turkey)
1/2 - 1 onion, sliced
1 can stewed tomatoes
Cooked noodles, any kind you'd like
Salt/pepper to taste
Brown the ground beef fully. Drain off excess liquid. Add onions and slightly sweat them. Add tomatoes; when doing so, crushed the stewed tomatoes through your fingers. Allow the mixture to cook for 15 - 30 minutes. While doing this, cook the noodles. Drain the noodles and combine with the beef mixture. Serve immediately and enjoy!
*You can add other things too - garlic, peppers, etc.
2) Beef Mexicana
1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1 can corn, drained
1 can tomato sauce (or you can used diced for a thinner, chunkier sauce)
Sprinkles of chili powder and cayenne pepper
Rice
Brown ground beef fully. Drain excess liquid. Add the tomato sauce, corn, chili powder, and cayenne. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until rice is done (my rice cooker takes about 20 minutes). Cook rice. Put rice in bowl and layer with beef mixture. Enjoy!


Hope these help you out. Let me know if you have any questions. They're really easy and can also be used for large groups. Just up the amount of ingredients. Each of these, as written, serve about 4. My blog address is twopathsdivergeinawood.blogspot.com if you'd like to include it.
October 20, 2011 4:03 PM

Thank you so much and thanks to all of you who have submitted recipes.  I have more than enough now and I must say the variety of recipes will make an incredible cookbook!  However, I have run into another problem.  There has been so much going on lately, that I can't seem to find the time to input the recipes.  I am slowly working on it, but it is more time consuming than I thought.   It is humbling to ask, but does anyone have time to spare to help input recipes into the database?  I completely understand if you are too busy, but I felt it was worth a shot to ask.  Thanks.


Anonymous said...

If we ask pretty please with a cherry on top, will you kindly post the recipe for that delicious looking bread? :)
October 25, 2011 8:14 AM

Sure.  You can find it here.


Anonymous said...

The bread looks really good but seriously Christine, what are you going to do when the girls go to real high school and you don't have anyone to cook or clean for you during the day???? California needs to watch home schoolers a little closer
October 26, 2011 3:27 PM

This comment made me chuckle since this person obviously doesn't know that teaching extends beyond the classroom and into the real world.    Cooking, cleaning, organizing, baking, shopping, sewing a button, paying bills, balancing checkbooks, learning how to fill out a job application-- why not teach your kids everything you possibly can?  For example-- when my girls go and babysit-- they don't just go and babysit.  They cook dinner, clean the kitchen afterwards, straighten up the house, and give the little kids baths.  Is it wrong to teach a young adult to go above and beyond worldly expectations as if they are truly working for the Lord?  I think not. 

DaYaH JeLitA said...

kristine, i think i had left a comment here before about the nuffnang award..umm u didnt approve that comment right? why? hurmm its okay i might be a stranger but just wanna let u noe that im ur silent reader :)... just wanna inform u about the blogger award...its okay if u do not interested...btw im from malaysia...ur blog inspire me a lots..keep on writing! :)
October 27, 2011 5:20 AM

Hi.  Yes, I got that comment and approved it too.  How thoughtful of you.  Thank you.  We live in the U.S.


Anonymous said...

We were so happy to have you speak for us. I have been so blessed and inspired by your courage, humility, and faith. I've already shared some of your message with friends who aren't a part of that group. You also put my mind at ease somewhat. I'm expecting my second. :)
Would love to have another morning about homeschooling...
October 28, 2011 2:07 PM

Thank you so much.  Since you didn't leave a name or a way to respond to your comment,  I hope you read this.  I would love to come back and share about homeschooling.


Lisa said...

Christine--
I've been enjoying your blog so much. I can definitely relate as I'm a homeschool mother of three, one bio child age 15, one aged 13 adopted when 8, and one aged 4 adopted when 1. It's hard with such a large age difference and my 13 yr old girl, especially, has several 'issues' we are working hard on.
I'm wondering if you could give me recommendations for books-- good books for girls ages, say, 12-16? I have trouble finding reading material for my two girls. When I do find something that looks good, Crystal (13 yr old) instantly rejects it, deciding it's no good because it's something I picked out.
Thank you so much.. your family is beautiful.
October 29, 2011 7:37 AM

Hmmm, book recommendations. My girls have enjoyed The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale and Absolutely Normal Chaos by Sharon Creech.  They also like Little Women, Ann of Green Gables, and Little House Books.


Blogging Friend said...

I know you do not like to share many of your family recipes but would you be willing to tell how you made the pizza sauce and the dough.
I wish so much I lived near you for I would come to your house and watch your kids make things that look so good afterwards. My favorite is the cinnamon rolls, they look so awesome.
Every looks like they had having fun. Hope all is going as good as it looks.
Love,
Sheila
October 29, 2011 5:48 PM

Most of our family recipes will be in the cookbook-- whenever it gets finished.  The sauce was simple-- a can of Italian diced tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, red hot pepper flakes, a glove of minced garlic, a handful of dried onion flakes, a pinch of sugar, and a couple of teaspoons of Italian seasoning.  After everything simmered for a while, I pureed the sauce.  You can find the dough recipe here.

Anonymous said...

'Looks like fun. Would you share your recipe/method of roasting pumpkin seeds? I've tried it before but they were not so yummy. We are going to get our pumpkins and carve tomorrow.
MariaG (Canada)
October 29, 2011 10:20 PM

After washing the seeds, I drizzled some olive oil, salted them and then baked the seeds at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Once or twice I pulled the baking pan out and stirred the seeds to ensure even roasting.

11 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for over a year but don't usually comment. I currently have plenty of time and would love to help you input recipes! Email me at mshortmorris@gmail.com and we can work something out =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blessed and encouraged to see you extend homeschooling beyond the books and into real life. It is disturbing to find young adults who excel academically but know nothing about everyday living. (I must get Hannah cooking... Well, at least she knows how to change diapers and love children.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your digest posts!! You relate so well even to the more negative comments ~ I'd be a mess of tears!
    Have a wonderful day~ you're doing a great job~ always remember that!
    Blessings
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the digests--I enjoy seeing how you respond to and interact with your readers.

    I just have a quick question--back in Sept.(I believe)--you started to have an individual post about one of the kids---So that we could get to know them a little better. Anyway I think you did about 7 or so of them and then there hasn't been anymore. --I was wondering if you are planning on doing a post on each of the others?
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the pumpkin seed recipe. The one I'd tried said to boil the seeds first. We still have one pumpkin left (we ran out of time to carve it) ... so I may just open it up and roast the seeds. I got this idea from your pumkin carving pics ... carving a cross into the pumpkin. Our son's pumkin has cross "ears".
    MariaG (Canada)
    p.s. Some of those negative comments are so "out there"? What are some people thinking?!? Glad you can LOL about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the book titles, Christine. I have read the last three and my oldest daughter has read Little Women and Anne of Green Gables, but not my 13 yr old; I will look for them at the library. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 2-3 hours M-F to input recipes into a database. email me if you need help! jamison607 at yh

    I just got "yelled" at for our intent to hs our daughters on FB, apparently they are "70% more likely to have to work menial labor jobs" according to this person's stats that they pulled from who knows where. My husband has the job of his dreams, in a cabinet factory. He has an MS in Mech Eng and was miserable for 7 years until taking this leap. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Real high school? Really? I think you do an amazing job! I don't know how you fit so much into one day. We do need to teach our kids the everyday things and not solely focus on academics.

    Some people should remember to only say something if they have something nice to say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to laugh at the homeschool comment. Um, what are the kids going to be doing AFTER high school and college? I'm pretty sure they'll put those cleaning and cooking skills to good use!
    What a lot of people don't realize is just how much time is wasted in school. There is time spent between classes, time wasted during class while the teacher tries to get the point across, etc. When you have a classroom of 20+ students, it is literally impossible to move at the pace of each student, so the class tends to go at the pace of the slower learners.
    When homeschooling, your child can work as quickly as they like. They aren't restricted by specific hours for specific subjects and they can get ahead on work. I used to LOVE being able to finish up all my work (the same exact stuff it took kids in school from 8-3 to do) in a couple of hours, then I was free to read and play. So, I have no doubt that A) your kids are getting a great education and B) they have more time to do other things, thanks to being homeschooled.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I love to homeschool. My children are learning but at their own pace and love it.Everyday they are learning something new. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I didn't know you were doing another one of these! If I had, I would have asked this question sooner: Caleb and Rachel are basically the same age, correct? I'm curious why you seem far more concerned about his relationship with the girl from church than Rachel's relationship with Sasha. You emphasize how important it is for Caleb to take things slow (which is true for any 15-year-old), but you seem content and even happy with Rachel's intention to marry Sasha.

    Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious what the difference is. If there are things about Caleb's situation that you don't want to share on the blog, that's totally understandable. I apologize in advance for asking about things that are none of my business.

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.