Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Wash

I slept well last night. Peaceful. I didn't get up once to go to the bathroom. That's a first for me. Finally woke up to knocking on the door. John was on Skype and wanted to connect before he headed off to bed. It was nice talking with my other half... I sure miss him. It s wonderful to hear that the kids are doing great. I miss them too.
Anyway, we had some sort of hot cereal with raisins and a scoop of ice-cream in it in place of milk. Though you could not tell by how much was left in our bowls-- we thoroughly enjoyed it. David was able to find a neighbor that would give us some milk and Sasha walked over with a big empty jar. Dare I drink unpasturized milk? I think I will boil it first just to be on the safe side. I am not too concerned with getting sick or else everyone else would get sick too, but the thought is what gets me... not enough time to grow on me. Yet.
Sasha decided to wash his clothes today. There are at least two washing machines that I know of here that work, but Sasha filled a wash basin. Old habits are hard to break... and perhaps he doesn't feel comfortable asking to use one of the machines. Either way my motherly instincts kicked in and I sat down and washed his clothes for him. It was very therapeutic... and made me think. I encourage you to try washing a few pieces of clothing by hand the old fashioned way... if nothing else it will get you to appreciate your washing machine a little bit more.
The guest cabin we are staying in is built up against a hill. One wall is all rock... keeps the cabin nice and cool. However, the water runs down the side of the hill and causes moisture to seep into the cabin through the rock. If that happened back home I would not be so calm... and yet it is what it is. Today the construction workers are out digging dirt away from the house. Shirts off, no protective goggles, working in flip flops... interesting.
We are surrounded by nature. I just knocked down all the cob webs in and around the bathroom and yet I am still never alone when I am in there. Always a moth or two... and a beetle of some sort crawling up the wall. The men's side is blessed with a green tree frog in the shower... no bugs for them. Speaking of shower-- I had David explain what a four minute shower is. At first Sasha said that he should just go bathe in the river then because he could not shower in four minutes. But when I explained that hot water is money and more water doesn't make you cleaner... Sasha appeared about five minutes later drying his hair... proud that he showered in only four minutes. It may sound strange... but Sasha craves for a mother and father-- I can tell. Sasha treats Julia and I like we are his family. Likewise, it is hard to not feel like he is a part of the family.
In the late afternoon we are going to walk around the village. Hopefully it will be cooler then. Thankfully it is not as humid as it was yesterday.
I leave you with words of wisdom according to Sasha. Eating three walnuts is good for you. Eating more than that and it all goes down the toilet. This only applies to walnuts-- not the hazelnuts he cracks open with his teeth and eats by the handfuls. Go figure.

9 comments:

  1. I love unpasteurized milk! It tastes so fresh and creamy. That said, I would NOT drink pasteurized milk in a foreign country with water bacteria issues - if the water is not ok to drink without being boiled, then the milk probably won't be either. It would probably be fine if you'd lived in Ukraine all your life because you'd have the proper antibodies, but coming from America (or anywhere else) it's definitely more risky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 minte shower in our house it's 5minte shower sounds cool I like that rule lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent many years washing clothes by hand here in Guatemala, including up to 20 diapers a day when our first son was born! We got a washing machine last year and I have never appreciated anything (except maybe running water) so much in my life!! It's great that you and Julia get to experience another way of life for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine,
    I loved getting caught up on your blog. I'm so glad you girls are enjoying your trip. Tell David I said "hi" and that my dad presented to his pastor that they send a group to ROJ next spring or summer. I can't wait to see a pic of Sasha. How'd he get down to ROJ??? Did he travel by himself?
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raw milk is YUMMY! Try it and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We drink unpasteurized milk here in Texas, so I will warn you that if you boil it, it will separate and clump. Not spoil, but clump. And I do wonder if their friendly bacteria and our friendly bacteria might be different and cause you problems. I know we had troubles when we were in Kazakhstan, and we didn't eat anything we thought was questionable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing journey! Love Sasha's words of wisdom, 3 walnuts - to your health, more than that, bad for you! He sounds like a special young man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once asked some Ukrainian women what they enjoyed doing in their free time, and they looked at me like I was nuts. Laundry there does take a lot longer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Life in the Ukraine is not life in America much more simple never sweat the small stuff like moisture in your cabin at least you have a cabin to sleep in.I have had men who have lived in the Ukraine come to my house and do construction work for me. One Ukraine construction worker did some construction house framing for me the worker did the work without shoes one and in the Ukraine his father trained him to work construction at a early age and this young man climbed on the wooden or steel framing structures of the buildings because he was smaller and could more faster and easier than his father. He never wore safety glasses or used any safety devices in fact he was not aware of them until he came to American. Thanks God our country has laws and workers are protected while at work. I love hearing about Sasha keep the news coming for such a young man he has such a strong faith.Blessings, Pat

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.