Monday, February 28, 2011

Rare Post from Dad

Okay, maybe you heard Feb 26 and Feb 27 were supposed to be arctic cold spells and all kinds of winter storms and snow all over California???

Well we did. We heard snow level would be down to around 1,000 feet in the area we live. And we live at around 2,600 feet!!! And we saw up to the minute forecasts showing 26 degree F days and big chances of snow in our zip code. And the previous week, without all the hoopla, people's homes we know of in our town, got snowed on.

So this was to be the weekend! Our kids made all kinds of snow angel plans and discussed how we would go down our driveway on this sled, or down the street with that saucer, etc etc.

But other than a tad bit of hail on Saturday, and some new snow dumped on the local surrounding mountains making our views prettier, we got nothing. Full sunny days at our house this past weekend. Disappointed kids galore. Disappointed Dad too. Drats.

So what's a dad to do?

Well I put a little sled onto Caleb's skateboard and happily rode it down our driveway. I did it many times--even with Dennis on my lap. Although he much prefers his "FASTER, RED CAR"!!!

Isn't he just awesome?!?!?!





Well, my time on the driveway on my "home made, street sled" got kind of boring fairly quickly. So, I proceeded to go further down our cul de sac hill we live on. It was great fun. When it went too fast, I merely just lost 1/4 inch of sole on my shoes and foot-braked myself back to comfortable speeds. Even Sveta loved it !!!





I thought, I GOT to show Adam and Caleb and the rest of the crew this "awesome new invention". Sure enough, Adam loved it. He wanted his sisters and I to play traffic cop and make sure no cars would harm him as he sped through multiple stop signs. So we did. The maniac loved it.




Ok sorry about not warning you about that first clip's not so pretty ending. But you do hear as I'm saying "Ouch", his guttural, "Yeah...eah...yeah!!!" at the end of it, right? He was fine, traffic cooperated and he even wanted to do it again tonight. At night. In the dark. Yeah right, Adam. Even I have my limits in stupidity!

John and Jane Doe anonymous out there (ok friends and family too), spare me the personal protective equipment lectures and the "what if" scenarios. I do get it. We should pad up, wear helmets, and then, just not do it. Clear. Fun should only be safe fun. I know. "Don't push your luck"...Because no momentary thrill is worth shattering a skull or having road rash gnarling up your spine. Yes obvious. Got it..."better safe than sorry"...

But those aren't the only possible outcomes. He's okay / fantastic. We have a permanent record of our stupidity. And we've learned from it. And we'll have a life long fond memory of the sunniest, best sledding day without snow we've ever had.

22 comments:

  1. Sounds FUN!!! Have you ever tried iceblocking you guys would LOVE it!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_blocking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever heard of safety equipment and NOT breaking the law by going through stop signs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.k..O.k..I know you told me not to..but MAN, that seems pretty dangerious..

    Sorry...: ) But it also looks like super FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John! It seems like fun fun-sometimes it is nice to break out of the traditional mode and just have fun just playful fun and worry about the what if later(safely that is). Let the fun continue at the Reed Home,Smiles Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT!!!! And I actually think children learn even more from situations like this when we have fun with them, even when it is a little dangerous. . .perhaps because it is dangerous! I think sometimes we just have to let our hair down and have fun with our kids. You go Dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to suggest Street Luge for Adam. A friend of ours used to compete in the extreme games over here in Australia in it. I assume it originated in the US though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is actually a real sport! Check out street louge

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AiN7mHp1eY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was Christine in the house "not watching"? Because that's what I used to do when my boys were kids and did stuff like this. My motto? "Some things are better for the mom to not know." Really I don't need to know about all the times they always killed themselves having fun. LOL We did have one head injury though. A bad one requiring 180 stitches in his head and a fractured skill. NOT FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dads are just simply the best b/c they do allow kids to take risks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where would we be if not for all the "road rash" we experienced as kids?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha ha .. my hubby did a similar thing..not quite so fast and not as far..he used a broom to give them a push off ..fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome. Can I come over and play?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to know you realize this is insane. Thrilling, but completely insane.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you know what, that looks like great fun! and somehow, even without helmets, pads, and ten million safety rules, I made it through my childhood in the '70s doing many things like this. Wahooo! sometimes a kid just needs wind in his hair and a whoop of excitement. WAHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you guys had fun.

    I know you said not to and generally I bite my tongue every time I see someone, especially a child, not wearing a helmet. I know I am particularly sensitive to the issue since I work with individuals with brain injuries - People whose lives were drastically changed due to their injuries. I see the people who wish they (or their family member) had worn a helmet but unfortunately hindsight doesn't help in those situations as brain injuries are permanent and even the smallest concussion can have life changing consequences. I have seen the people who thought "it won't happen to me".
    99% of the time you will be fine without a helmet but there is always that 1%.

    I am not saying you shouldn't have fun. I am not saying you shouldn't have done that activity with the kids. However, I don't think a helmet would have taken away from any of the fun that you had.

    I didn't mean to lecture and I said more than I wanted to (okay probably not as I could go on for a while about brain injuries). I really just wanted to say that wearing protective equipment does not detract from the fun. It is possible to be safe and have just as much fun.

    So go on and continue to do those activities with your family. Have fun! Just at least consider a helmet. You will probably be fine without one but since you can have just as much fun with one it seems worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Sarah G. - definitely wear a helmet. It doesn't take away from the fun and God forbid someone did get hurt - it's just foolish not to wear one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dad;
    I am a nurse in the emergency room of a children's hospital. I am appalled that you let your kids especially the little Dennis do these kind of dangerous stunts without a helmut.
    Do you know how many head injuries we see daily from these exact same stunts that parents think are "cute"?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looked like SOO much fun!!
    And good job traffic cops!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, mixed emotion. I enjoyed watching all the videos and add that I remember fun times like that too as a kid! It was a blast!! I also remember flipping over the hood of a car from my bike and my helmet cracking down the middle. I usually never wore a helmet as a kid and my parents didnt ever really force us to but it was like a light switch that went off one day and I always wear one now...maybe thats the best way, let the kids figure it out on their own, they'll know and as long as those options are avaliable to them. (Having a helmet to wear if they do want to) then again maybe they won't. What I like about it is that you were with them, though it may have been a bit dangerous it could be worse, you might not have been there at all. I have to keep reminding myself that people can injur themselves in so many ways and we can also scold others about things they do or dont do...we all live life the best we know how. Your kids are going to have amazing memories and best of all memories that include both their parents being supportive and open. Glad to see you all had a fun day! If you ever feel the urge to travel you're welcome to come here and enjoy all the snow we've got. This year we had so much snow it was to my husbands shoulders in places and hes 6'5"...its still snowing. Today its -43 celcius with the wind. NOT FUN! I know your kids wished they had snow there but we envy your weather at times. Wanna Trade?
    Catherine (From Central Alberta; Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I was a kid, my dad would tie a tobaggon to the back of the car and drive up our looooooooong winding driveway with all of us sitting on it. Definitely not what you'd consider safe, but oh my, we had fun!

    Thanks for sharing, even if the Anons did get to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like Magea fun, but deffo with the helmet lot on this one! I don't think it would take away from the fun, just good choices. Rather safe than sorry, protection in ALL aspects of life is never a bad thing. Should deff be done though! Looked SO fun. We used to do this when I was a kid and I still remember the thrill. Though I did wear a helmet and like another poster, cracked mine down the middle, still got my brains though! :oD (I think) Haha!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.