Sunday, January 2, 2011

Two Days Into the New Year

Today all 24 of us ( us and our friends) went to church. The kids went to Sunday school classes, us four adults sat in on the service. Afterwards we came home for lunch and then our friends left for their long journey home. It didn't take long for one of my girls to remark how quiet it was now that they were gone! Can you imagine that? 15 kids considered to be too quiet? Hmmm.

Now we find out that our friends are stuck in a hotel room because the highway is closed due to snow! Hopefully it will clear up in the morning so they can get home.

It has been record cold here where we live or so I have been told. The wind breathes cold straight into the core of your bones-- I wonder if it is this cold in Ukraine?

I spent the last hour or so planning out the next few days of curriculum for not three but eight kids! I am so excited and nervous all at the same time. And yet I feel like this is the right thing for them, for our relationship, for our family.

I better get to bed now-- everyone resumes school starting at the crack of dawn! Since we have been going to bed rather late these last two weeks and waking up late it should be an interesting morning around here.

7 comments:

  1. No matter how big your family is, it is always "quiet" when friends leave.

    Our kids don't start school for another week. This is the longest Christmas break ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am glad that your homeschooling is going well for you.Homeschooling is a lot of work but a lot of fun.I have found that when I had children at all different levels of learning who were being homeschooled that unit studies were the most fun and easiest to do. I would assign my older children more difficult reading assignments. I used a lot of books from the library and purchased materials from other homeschoolers that enhanced the unit studies I was doing. Good luck, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting more curriculum for 8!!! Good for you!

    It really is fun, and so rewarding.
    I have always thought home education was easier than all those IEP's.

    We start our school year back up on Wednesday. I am looking forward to this next semester.

    A book you might want to look into is :
    Guides to History Plus by Kathryn Stout.
    Kathryn is an Educator that specializes with Special Ed students.
    She wrote this multi level curriculum that I have found to be invaluable and everytime I look at it, I find another treasure.
    This is one of my all time high recommendations, besides ROD and Staff Language Arts and Saxon Math with Dive CD's (similar to Teaching Textbooks)

    The comment that it was quiet, was pretty funny!
    How is G doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting.

    May the Lord bless you with patience and wisdom and you teach your children.

    Blessings,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your homeschooling venture! I'm sure you will do a great job and I'm sure it will be beneficial for the kids. Can't wait to continue reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO excited for you!!
    and I have to tell you something I hope you will get a smile out of:
    Today we were on our way home from our home-school co-op and we always stop at Taco Bell on the way home for $2 meal deals. So today I was ordering for 6 as my hubby is off today and elaina eats like a 30 year old and not an almost 3 year old! So I kept ordering...deal # such and such with this to drink, and after like 3 meals the lady asked, "Is that all?" and I told her now, I was only halfway done. She was shocked! the kids got a good laugh at her response to me ordering SIX meal deals and a few tacos on the side. I told the kids about my blog friend who has 14 children and how fun that must be to go through the drive through! :)
    You are an inspiration girlie. So what if you have 10 more kiddos than me? :)
    blessings,
    holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. PRAYING for you on this wonderful crazy fun journey to homeschooling!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.