Tuesday, December 28, 2010

It Always Is

I have not posted about our trials with a few of the kids lately. Up and down is a good way to describe this past week. One of the middle boys didn't like their seat in the van being taken by another brother and they were further upset when I told them to just go sit in the back. When he thought I turned my back he punched his brother's cookies and then lied about it. So he didn't go to the park. When he wanted to finally get up we discussed what being sorry meant and how he has to understand that had he just listened to me by going and sitting in the back, I would have taken care of his brother's bad behavior and he wouldn't have gotten into trouble.

My two oldest boys decided to give me lip one day about doing the dishes. They wanted to know why the other kids loaded the dishwasher wrong, why the kids didn't rinse their plates, and how I should implement some magical dishwashing plan where everyone takes care of their own dishes. I asked them how they expected me to get 15 kids to do this, when I can't even get 2 of them to listen to me right now. They felt like arguing and arguing and I didn't. They were sent to their rooms with no IPODS and now they have dish duty around the clock for the rest of the week.

One of my daughters has had a bad attitude lately. For the most part it just makes me sad about her because I know her behavior is related to her not receiving any letters from her bio brothers this month acknowledging her birthday or Christmas. Still, no excuse to treat us like dirt and I think she realizes that. Cross out the think-- I know she realizes that.

Whether you have one, two, six, ten, or fourteen kids-- they can wear you down.

Honestly, I was needing a fill up-- and I am sure the kids did too.
So, this morning I gathered with all them for prayer time and a devotional about what gets in the way of having an intimate relationship with God and how we can draw closer to God by also working on our relationships with each other.

Amazing.

Half an hour with God and I am filled back up.

This time with God was like salve put on a wound.

Soothing. Healing.

It always is.

It always is.

12 comments:

  1. I understand what you said to the one about if he'd let you deal with it, the other child would have been in trouble not him. I've had a lot of that with one lately. She takes it upon herself to do something to even the score with another child and then I have to tell her that since she already took it into her own hands, I'm not going to deal with it and she has to live with the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Focussing on Jesus always sets the day to such a better tune!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct whether it is one two or twenty, children can be draining. My way to have a b irt of resprtie was to seperate and take a moment to myself. Yes this included a 5 minute nap and two boys seperated with friends. Don't forget to take time for yourself Christie.

    Glad things are going well but we all have certain struggles we need to get through. It is nice to know we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying with you in the struggles. It is hard at the best of times and sometimes life is life. LOVE my time with God- otherwise I would be REALLY OUT OF MY MIND!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to commiserate with you for your situation but I just checked the ages of your kids. You're going to have a whole bunch of them turning 13 at about the same time. But you know what the Bible says: Train up your children in the way that they should go and when they are old(er than 13) they will not depart from it. I added that little bit there in the parentheses. Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this. It's hard thinking we're alone with some of our kids' behavior--and then I find that we're not alone. You did the right thing; it's amazing how God's Word can change hearts and set things right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so good to hear about encouragement. i could use some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I will try this - I certainly need some spiritual filling up! I only have four kids and they seem to work together to drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your honesty.

    I understand how you feel.

    If I loose touch with God I loose it as a mama.

    So thankful for the living and active word of God that always speaks into my soul and strengthens my feeble hands.

    Blessings from the North,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness you have been busy! I just caught up reading your blog.

    Sorry to hear about Connie. Hope the kids took it OK. Praying for G, and hoping the respite you are providing will do the job.

    Happy to hear about Ben. What a nice thing to do.

    Sounds like homeschooling is going great. Horse riding lessons sound fun. I start homeschooling my daughter next week.

    Happy birthday to Rachel.

    You have such an amazing family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Kathy C. - WHY do they have to take matters into their own hands!? The minute they do that, rather than my being able to commiserate, THEY must become the focus of my discipline - because they have always managed to "up the ante" and do something worse than what was done to them. Sheesh!

    One of your daughters may have had just "too much" too, what with a birthday AND Christmas. A lot of kids who experienced early trauma have a difficult time both being the center of attention, and with getting gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Christine with children you will always have some days that are filled with more blessings that other days.But trust in God and he will lead you on the correct path to take.You appear to be following His path daily.Blessing, Pat

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.