Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Less Meets More

Living more simply..... being appreciative for what you have.... making life easier through having less choices... and focusing on more important things are all things that I desire for my children. When I read this over at Linda's blog I found myself nodding in agreement at her own choices for her family. I happened to incorporate her post into one of the devotionals we did a few days ago. Little did I know that it would actually have an impact so quickly.

Julia came to me a while later to tell me that she had already chosen her 33 items for Project 333. I was impressed. She was excited.


Needless to say, I am feeling convicted to do the same. As of today I am not sure that I am doing Project 333 but I have committed to consolidating John and my things from two dressers down to one. The other one I will give to the girls so that they could have more storage.

I look forward to seeing where this challenge takes us. If nothing else it has given us something to think about when we go out and make future purchases.

So funny that I would post about our dessert we had the other night that was nothing short of pure extravagance for our taste buds at the same time as I posted about one of my daughters choosing to get by with way less stuff.

I'm flawed like that I guess.
Anyway, after seeing Apple Nachos in a magazine at the doctor's office, I wanted to come up with our own version at home. Naturally, it was a hit!

We topped thinly sliced apples with carmel, chocolate sauce, marshmallow cream, crushed Oreos, and chopped up candy bars--- all topped with a dollop of Cool Whip! Personally, I thought the dessert was too sweet.

A minimalist would have been just fine with carmel.
Does that make me a minimalist? :)

10 comments:

  1. Woot for Julia! That is very impressive when you consider the pressure on girls to clothes shop and keep up with everyone else in the looks department. I look forward to hearing how she feels about it at the end of the three months :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking on the Math U See website to print out a work sheet and saw this on their new homepage under Special Education and thought you might be interested.
    (http://www.mathusee.com/)

    Math-U-See provides a firm foundation in mathematics for students struggling in mathematics and with special needs. Teachers are provided the tools, skills and training needed to present an explicit,structured, systematic, and cumulative program using multi-sensory teaching techniques. Since 2004, Math-U-See has been working with Special Education Teachers to teach students who are struggling in math or have special needs. These students are showing tremendous improvements and are closing the achievement gap. Math-U-See unique approach targets each individual student and focuses on their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me, but sometimes it is a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, you got me to start thinking about downsizing, but if underwear and socks are excluded, none of us has more than 33 clothing items. With socks and underwear I think we average 40ish items each. The kids more due to school uniforms, Kevin and I less. I'll just have to be careful it won't increase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excluding socks and undergarments, we are all within the 33 limit except for Mike. He has the same clothing he has always had, and then a few extra items. I need to get rid of many things he never, EVER wears.

    I loved Linda's post and we too have the same ideas, but do not put them all into practice. I just blogged about that today as an update on my wasteful paper plate usage. :)

    Our biggest desire is to minimalize our bills to ZERO. We were debt free livers before the girls came.... and then, I don't know what happened, but we have debt. I actually know and understand the plan to get out of debt well. I just have to do it. UGH.... and it is something both Mike and I are convicted to do sooner than later.

    We do not live extravagant lives, but we can still do with less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is it so simple to live so simply in Ukraine and not at home?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely not a minimalist and couldn't be as I have all my craft stuff and other stuff. I do go through the bureaus and closets several times a year and sort and bring things to the local thrift shop. I don't like to throw anything away.

    As for the desert, it wouldn't be for me. I love apple deserts but things like applie pie, crisp, Brown Betty (all baked). Of course kids love desserts and should have it as a treat every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we got married 10 years ago and I had a sit at a desk stressful job and gained some weight and then had two more babies so I think I havent bought many clothes so I could do it. haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for Julia! It just goes to show yet again that you're doing an excellent job of raising your children.

    That dessert looks terribly sweet! I think I would have just eaten the Oreos and that's it. :D

    For fractions, have you considered using food? Pizzas are excellent for teaching fractions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi The apple treats look very wonderful.I bought a bushel of apples and we had fun making our own apple treats.Thanks for the ideas. Blessings, Pat

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.