Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In the Kitchen

Good friends last a lifetime. These wonderful three ladies-- Marge, Kathleen, and Pat took me under their wings back when I was in my early twenties and we have stayed in touch ever since. When I led a mother's group much like MOPS, Marge led up the childcare part of it and Kathleen and Pat were regular helpers. We attended an evening women's group together too, and they still occasionally ask me to come back and share what is happening with our family. It has been a blessing to have such wonderful role models in my life-- and my kids have been blessed by the extra grandma's that pray for them, send cards and bring goodies.
When they came over for a visit yesterday, I was in the midst of making meatballs. I had to rush off to pick up Adam and Dennis from school-- so they all made the meatballs for me. That is why I think they turned out so darn yummy!
Here is the recipe: So Good Meatballs-- enough to feed an army or freeze them after they are cooked for a quick and easy dinner on the go.
8 lbs ground beef
6 medium eggs
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. Poultry seasoning
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
Mix all together and measure out with an ice-cream scoop. Lay out on a wire cooling rack placed inside a cookie sheet to catch the drippings. Bake at 360 degrees for one hour.
Drop into spaghetti sauce for a great Italian meal, or dump brown gravy on them next to a heap of mashed potatoes, or serve them on toasted french bread topped with spaghetti sauce and Mozzarella cheese.

As a side to the meatball sandwiches, we had strawberry jello mixed with bananas and cool whip.

Ever since I overloaded Adam on bananas as a baby, he has had an aversion to them-- so I let him scoop out some jello before I mixed in the bananas.

This salad/dessert is so easy yet it seems to satisfy all palates with its creamy, fruity, yet no too sweet balance of flavors.

P.S. Do you have a favorite jello recipe? Do you have any special ladies that have been inspirational in your life?

10 comments:

  1. Not sure if it's well known in the US, but have you tried making trifle. Cake, jelly, cream, custard, fruit - usually berries or stone fruit, and some kind of liquid - can be alcohol, juice, etc. Looks fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That meatball recipe sounds so simple and yummy! And I like that they are baked!!

    We eat jello much the same way...: )

    As for inspirational women, I meet them everyday....

    Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The this meatball recipe! And everyone needs ladies like this. You have truly been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parmesan cheese is the secret to yummy meatballs. :) I learned this many years ago and almost panic when I find there is no cheese to put in the mix.

    Your jello looks yummy! I'll take a big helping, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried your meatball receipe and added Parmesan cheese my family loved it. Thanks for sharng your receipe. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the special ladies in my life that inspire me are bloggy friends like you :) We literally don't have someone here that has taken us under their wings....which is why our little island is so hard to live on.

    Praying that in the future we will have that in person as well as in blogland. We have been able to visit with some of those mentors in blogland which is great, but they live on the other side of the country. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely going to try those meatballs! They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely friends! The meatballs sound wonderful. I am impressed you bake them- I'd never hear of that before, but thought it is so clever! I shall try that!

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love jello recipes! Your's looks so easy and so good! I have one where you just take a bunch of different types of fruits, strawberries, grapes, banana's, pineapple, raspberries, whatever you have on hand... I've even just done strawberries and purple grapes because that's all I had then you add some jello just from the pounch now made. If I'm doing a big bowl of it like your size of family I'd use a whole small 4 serving box of it then stir it up add a couple of cups of cottage cheese and a tub of cool whip... yummy and it look pretty because the jello turns the cool whip pink or red or whatever you use.

    This is also another favorite...
    http://areyouseriousrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/05/pretzel-salad-or-dessert.html

    another good one is 2 large boxes of peach jello after it's made add some peaches when it have set enough to hold the peaches and add some small marshmallows over the top of it. They'll just float on top. I do enough to almost cover the whole surface then once its completely set I put a 8 oz tub of cool whip over the top. So good... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your meat ball recipe I think I'll be doing that for tomorrow's dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.