Friday, August 6, 2010

Last Week Before School

I've been buying things here and there for the upcoming school year over the last four months and last night I finally took inventory to see what I still needed to get. Thankfully, only three or four more backpacks and a few more things for Adam and Caleb. For Paul-- well let's just say his eyes were glued to me as I slowly sorted through things and his pile grew. A new backpack, a few shirts, and two new pairs of shorts-- he was thrilled! I waited till Anastasia and Rachel got back from going out to dinner with Cousin Matt and Jenn to go through all of the girl clothes.

Anna couldn't wait to model her new school clothes! Since all of the other girls are around the same size, I laid out all of the new shirts and each of them take turns picking out a shirt that they wanted. It was fun spending time with my girls as they took turns asking how this shirt and that shirt looked on them. Anastasia was so excited and thankful for her school clothes that she ran downstairs to show her Daddy her favorite outfit-- giggling with glee all the way.

Anastasia continues to swim in the shallow end. I am not sure why she lacks the confidence to swim in the deep end but hopefully she will make that leap before swim season is over.


As for Paul, I am just happy to see him still swimming. After he fell into the pool while riding a scooter, I was certain he would be at the very least, temporarily scarred. See--- not only did he get caught off guard by falling into the deep end of the pool, but he then began to panic like he was drowning when he could not pull the scooter out of the water. That silly goose would not let go of the handle bar as the weight of it kept him from getting his head above water to gasp for air. Even though he only struggled in the water for a few seconds until I ran over, jumped in, and pulled him out, I know the feeling of not being able to come up for air must have been traumatic for him. Thankfully, it didn't seem to have any long term effect as I think he is smart enough to realize that what happened had less to do with him not being able to swim and everything to do with him not letting the scooter go to come up for breath. If anything, Paul is an even more determined to try new things and become an even better swimmer.

William had a blast when our friends were over!

Alex and Dennis have "rediscovered" our play set. If I let them, they would play outside for hours.

When Dennis saw the kids playing with water balloons one day-- he was hooked. Everything about them is just so much fun!

Even sisters popping them over his head-- well that's fun too!
This month will mark four years since Annalyn became our daughter. So much has happened over those years--- and I think Annalyn is yearning for a real change. I see this attempt to become a better person on the inside and out as a big challenge for her-- but I think she is up for such a challenge. So much to share about this-- but I'll save it for later.

8 comments:

  1. I can only imagine the amount of stuff you have to do before school starts with 14 children. Imagine the Duggars?! Well with the show they get a lot of help now...but before. Holy cow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how organized you are and that you're a sale/buy ahead shopper (like me) so I bet it was lots of fun for the kids to see you bring out your "stash".

    Poor Paul - what a scare for him. Glad he got right back in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our choices are easier because all the kids must wear plain blue jeans or blue or kaki pants, shorts or skirts. They must wear a three button shirt in one of the two school colors or white. The younger kids can wear plain t-shirts in the colors instead of the three button shirts. There is still individuality because of differing styles of pants and shirts, but it takes away the arguments about what to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kids go back way before we do in Canada. It used to be after the long weekend in September, but from what my girls tell me their kids go back on August 26th or something. The kids are all looking very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to read any advice you have about how to keep things more organized when school is in session. I DO buy early/on sale/off season/stock up as you mention...and do pretty well with that. But, I struggle with keeping up with the papers coming home; keeping bookbags/homework/projects from getting lost; getting respective lunchs/snacks out the door (and actually on the bus WITH them); keeping extra activity schedules straight. Hum...that sounds like I struggle with a big chunk. I guess so. That's 'cause I'm running things like I have 2 kids; not 4-soon-to-be-6. I've never had a chance to catch up my home management processes for this many. Help!! :) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to read any advice you have about how to keep things more organized when school is in session. I DO buy early/on sale/off season/stock up as you mention...and do pretty well with that. But, I struggle with keeping up with the papers coming home; keeping bookbags/homework/projects from getting lost; getting respective lunchs/snacks out the door (and actually on the bus WITH them); keeping extra activity schedules straight. Hum...that sounds like I struggle with a big chunk. I guess so. That's 'cause I'm running things like I have 2 kids; not 4-soon-to-be-6. I've never had a chance to catch up my home management processes for this many. Help!! :) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a smile on this one Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  8. School is SO much a TRIAL for me. Back when the older kids were in Montessori and the philosophy was that there is a LOT for children to learn from their parents and at home. Evenings were full of dance classes, art and sports, and always reading aloud, writing stories,playing board games, churh activities. With homework the nights are devoted to crankiness, tears, or in the best case scenario - children working all by themselves for the majority of the time we have "together". We have to say no to anything extra at church, and rarely have time for reading together. HATE IT.

    Paul's experience reminded me of one of the activities they do both in basic training and in Army Cadets - they have to jump in the pool in full uniform (boots and packs!) holding their gun above their heads so it is wet for as little time as possible. He'll be a natural for that!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.