Monday, August 24, 2009

The Sunday Happs

Caleb can be so sweet, but he can also be so stubborn. Out of the blue, he came up behind me and gave me a big hug. He even let Rachel get a picture.
Quite the opposite of the other day when he and Julia wanted a piece of leftover cake for their snack instead of pretzels and fruit. "There is not enough for everyone to have some, so it would not be fair. Have a peach." And then as soon as I got back from taking Rachel to soccer practice, I found out that they had had the cake anyway. "Fine-- but you had your dessert."
The softie that I am-- and this generally being their biggest offense, I went ahead and offered them some dessert after dinner anyway. Julia happily took me up on my offer while Caleb insisted he didn't want any. "Caleb, I know you really want some. Since when do you pass up dessert? Quit being stubborn and go get yourself an ice-cream." He still insisted he didn't want any. "Okay."
Twenty minutes later however, he came up to me and admitted that I was right. And I said, "Go get that ice-cream, Cay." He smiled. So did I.
*******************
Adam and his friend Joey offered to make Tollhouse cookies after church on Sunday. Since I didn't have enough chocolate chips, I had them throw in some white chips too. They were awesome!

***********************
William is slowly adjusting to having another brother. For the most part he is great with Alex, but sometimes he wants to bug Alex just like he bugs his other siblings. We have to remind William that Alex is still so new to our family that he doesn't take it as kidding around and that if William keeps on bugging him, Alex is not going to like him. And William does not want that.

************************
Our new couches finally came in. We all love them! The loveseat should be delivered later this week.


I finally managed to get some pictures up on the wall of Alex. And yes, he noticed. And yes, I think it makes a difference in him feeling like he belongs. It is something concrete that he can see and he loves trying to name all the people in the pictures.
**********************
Here is Alex with his walker. I have shoes for him so that his ankles can be better supported, but that just wouldn't work with him going swimming.

*****************************
Annalyn and Sveta make sure that the dogs are included every now and then. :)
**************************
John took nine of the kids up to Grandma and Grandpa's to visit with family that is in town.
Jonny conked out on the way home.
I stayed home because Alex, and Dennis were sleeping, and Adam had to finish his homework before I took him to the high school youth group kick-off at church. It gave me a chance to relax and do nothing.

10 comments:

  1. How blonde is Dennis' hair!!!! Blimey! :o)
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I can't imagine you every relaxing!!

    And why, oh, why did you have to mention Toll House cookies? I wish I had one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When do you ever get to just relax with your schedule?????? Take advantage when it appears.

    Your dogs look so cute with the girls.

    Love that big chair. Oh, to curl up in that with a good book.

    Was I ever surprised reading Annie's blog tonight to see Sveta's story. What a small world it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post. You inspire me. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the look into your happy day. I doubt the activities of our Sunday would be as heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these posts! And I love the special connection Alex and Dennis have with each other. And I love how your family just embraces a new sibling - a true joy and blessing! May God continue to richly bless your precious family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex just BELONGS in your family, he and Dennis are like two peas...my Charlotte Claire, 3, sits here with me every morning and asks to see Dennis....she loves him. She says you are pretty, and now she wants me to get some glasses....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet mama to offer dessert anyway...I need to forgive and forget more often!

    Love the new furniture!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.