Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Covering a Book the Old Fashioned Way


Adam came to me today with a cool request. "Mom, can you help me cover my book?" Of course I could help him cover a book! I thought this was something that they no longer had the kids do since this is the first time any of my kids have had to do this, so I was happy to squeeze in five minutes of time with Adam showing him just how cool I can be.


Alex and Dennis watched Alex's adoption video at least twenty times today! And each and every time they squealed with delight at every new picture and laughed when Alex was eating the banana and hitting the ball with Julia. Alex even seemed to be a little embarrassed of his singing at the end but when I told him how much I love his singing he seemed to be less shy.


When I called to check and see when our couches would be delivered, the manager tried to tell me that his assistant manager sold the couches to me for less money than he was supposed to and tried to get me to pay another couple hundred dollars. I couldn't believe he would actually ask that when it was his employee who offered to sell me the couches at that price and I had already paid in full for them. I told him absolutely not and that if he didn't deliver the couches I just wanted a full refund. After some number crunching on his part, he informed me that he would be delivering the couches tomorrow minus the oversized chair that is on back-order. So the kids and I cleared out the living room and moved the other couches into the game room. Secretly, I am thrilled to know that I got such an awesome deal. And now we will be able to sit our whole family down for a movie night.


William and Alex are starting to spend more time together. It is nice to see.


Caleb has also taken a liking to Alex. He loves that he can make Alex laugh anytime he wants.

20 comments:

  1. Book covering! In Hungary we had to cover every book and notebook--so much for buying the fancy Hannah Montana/High School Musical/Cars/etc. notebooks. I don't know if we have to cover them in Israel, we will be told on the first day, but I did cover some notebooks for the boys. I am a nerd like that: I like the uniformity. All three of my boys have different wrapping paper for covering their stuff, so I always know at first glance what book/notebook belongs to which child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. . .book covering. . .that brings back memories!

    Alex looks like he is fitting right in! How wonderful!

    Be Blessed,

    Amy Honestly

    ReplyDelete
  3. How unethical that mgr. was. The law is that they have to sell the item for the quoted price or the price that is written on the tag or in the ad. He could have mentioned his salesperson's error and what a deal you were getting and leave it at that. I'm glad you stood your ground and got such a good deal.

    I always covered my books with brown grocery bags.

    Alex's transition is going well - happy to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. William and Alex look so much alike to me. It is so neat to see him home.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to see them all interacting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. <3 Sibling Bonding <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. the book covering.....we've been busy doing that here too.
    It's funny. The kids at my son's school cover them with brown paper bags, then cover the entire brown bag cover with duct tape...in assorted colors. VERY durable though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have a question about the oversized chair? Was that part of the original agreement? Happy that you got such a great deal. It's like God intervened and assisted you in this sale. Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to see Alex fitting in and adjusting so well.
    I can't believe that the manager of the furniture store. He should have cut his losses and taught his staff better. You should still receive the chair if it was included with the sale on the day you purchased. It is not like you tied his employee down and stole the furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My high schoolers always cover their books too! You can buy licra covers in funky colours for around $1-$2 -my teens reuse them each term. Brown paper is always popular because you can write on it. Welcome to the world of high school!

    It's so nice to see Alex becoming a part of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remeber making those book covers every year and loving doing it...
    it looks like the family is bonding so well that is such a blessing for such smooth transition.
    I just got news on my couches..they wont be delivered until 9/6...I am a tad upset as I gave my other set away last week thinking I wouldnt have to wait so long..well now that teaches me a lesson....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this on my friend's blog today and though of you.
    http://jacobsjourneyhome.blogspot.com/2009/08/perspective.html
    Big families face much criticism these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In regards to my comment about "Up"...I think it's a great movie...kid appropriate, but one that you definitely want to have time to talk about afterwards...why people die, etc. At one point, the old man leaves the bird (which he had promised the boy he would protect) to save the house that his wife loved, but eventually changes his mind and goes back to save them all. I wasn't sure about it at first, but now I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ♥ Heck yeah that's the only way we ever covered our books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy day... I never liked paper covers; they looked dirty, but I'd take scraps of my favorite fabrics and sew covers on my books. They were so pretty. I remember trying to make the covers for the classes I hated, the nicest. I still remember a pretty cover for my [detested] math book in tiny green and yellow flowers. And MY books always looked best at the end of the year. Now I just use the fabric ones you buy as I got a ton of them last year on clearance for almost nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I realize that sounded critical - I didn't mean that! BOYS would of course want brown paper....it just didn't please prissy ME.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that brings back memories!! I always covered my books with brown paper so I could draw on them when I got bored!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to cover and recover my books year round... I drew on them so much the paper would wear out ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.