Monday, August 18, 2008

One last summer outing!

Yesterday we went on our last family outing before school starts. Honestly as cheap as I am, it was wonderful that our adoption agency "God's Waiting Children" was having this get together for adoptive families and host families or else we probably wouldn't have done anything at all because I would have thought it would cost too much money. Since going to the lake for the day cost hardly anything at all except for gas, we were able to splurge a little with the kids, and they loved it!

We left our home around 9:00 am and stopped for Starbucks. As the Starbuck's employee kept handing me drinks I wondered what the people in the car behind me were thinking. Hehehe.


On the way we stopped to fill up the van with gas and get Subway sandwiches. I wonder how William got up there.

Here we are at the lake. It was an absolutely beautiful day. Dennis really enjoyed the water and sand.


Here are William, Andrew, Julia, Annalyn, and Sveta on a boat.


William, Annalyn, Andrew, and Jonny stayed close to shore with me when the other kids swam out to a big rock with John.


Adam made it to the rock first! Look at those slowpokes swimming far behind.

Finally they made it!


Did I mention how interested Dennis was in the sand? He wanted to touch it, taste it, and rub it in his hair. I was so worried that he would get it in his eye.... but he didn't.

Dennis was content sitting at the water's edge with the water gently lapping at his feet.


Sveta was waiting to ride on the boat again. She loved it!


Andrew and Jonny got into a mud fight. They played and played and played!


Daddy took all the kids out kayaking. Here he is with Annalyn.


Rachel and Anna bottled up the shiny sand. They were convinced that it must have gold in it.


Poor Adam looks like he has had enough of the sun..... don't you think?

The day was really fun! All the kids enjoyed themselves. It was really nice getting to meet so many nice and amazing people.

Here is a picture of Dennis and Andrew on the drive home. I just can't get over how much more smiley Dennis has become over the last week!


As a final treat and awesome way to end the day, we all went out to dinner at Mimi's Cafe. You would think that after a long exhausting day in the sun the kids would have been cranky and tired. Actually they all behaved great and dinner was really wonderful.

Here is Jonny, Caleb, Andrew, and William waiting to be seated.

Here I am with Caleb who I think desperately needs a haircut. What do you think?


A sure way to tell the kids are growing up???? Now we have four ordering off the adult menu!

It was nice to have this "last summer" day before the kid's go back to school next week. However, I am thrilled that next Thursday I will send my brood off to school!

26 comments:

  1. We love MiMi's. we go to the one in Santa Clarita. Looks like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I came across to this blog when you changed from the ukraine train (was following your adoption) - it's great to see how happy Dennis & the rest of your family looks - you are doing a wonderful job! What a fun day out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!
    Sounds like it was an all around great day!! Glad everyone had soo much fun!!

    How neat that Dennis got to accomplish another texture ~the sand!!! He is learning and expanding soo much since you've got him home now. AMAZING!!!

    Loved all of the pictures...glad you were able to capture so many great moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun!! I live that picture of dennis smiling. He just looks so happy it brought a tear to my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad your family got to have some last-minute summer fun! I love reading your blog. And let me say truly from my heart, Dennis is beautiful and I see so much potential in him! I just see it in his face! He is a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you all had a beautiful day!!! Do you know that Brian has become a green tea frappacino fan too? We do not have a Starbucks here, but whenever we had layovers in airports with the chain, that is what he requested. Thanks for tipping us to that refreshing drink!

    I love the pics of the kids swimming, boating, and playing in the sand. It really looks like they were having a blast! And no, I don't think Caleb needs a haircut ;-) (I know - bad Aunt Connie, but I can't help it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look like a fun day. Ugh, I can't believe summer is almost over. I'm not looking forward to the homework grind as much as you are! :) (give me the lazy days of summer anyday!) :)

    P.S. Little Dennis looks like he is just doing amazingly well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice day at the lake for the whole family. Is the lake far from where you live?

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is something so different about his sweet smile. Could be he knows he is loved now. WOW! It does make a difference. Beautiful family. Yes, School is GOOD!!! My Mia got on the school bus this morning . Bittersweet indeed. But, GOOD!!
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't have to go back to school in til september, but I think that's because we didn't get out of school until june 26th.

    I don't think caleb needs a hair cut. It looks good. You're kind of like my mom who always wants me to get my hair cut as soon as I'm starting to like the length. Oh course if he wants it cut too that's a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great day! And how nice that your family was all together to enjoy it with each other!

    Dennis looks so happy and he's experiencing so much.

    It's a real joy to read your updates. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you guys had a blast! Dennis is just a doll and he looks sooo happy in those pics! How blessed you are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love following your family adventures. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you had a wonderful day! Makes me want to pack up the kids and go do something fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like you all had so much fun! I love all the pictures. It looks like it was a great day. Thanks for the comments on my blog. I noticed your comment on my daughter's blog. Audra and Allen are BOTH my kids! I have another one too who is younger.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christine, I look forward to reading your blog everyday and can't believe with eleven kids, you have time to post almost every day. (Don't stop and think about it....you'll stop posting as often and then where would I be?)

    Dennis is chunking up and that grin...worth millions! Ahhh what love can do!

    If you wouldn't mind emailing me, I have had a question for awhile but even though you emailed me off of the frua chat site, I can't find your email address. jerigrothues@yahoo.com

    Jeri, mom of Amber,Heather,Hannah and
    Alex, who's from Sumy,Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Realy nice report on a little girl that seems to have the same sort of issues Dennis has

    www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=97200&catid=188

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks fun! I don't think I've ever seen Dennis with such a big smile, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun day! I just love the pics of Dennis sitting by the shore. All of these new things he's getting to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fun! We never do lake days. . even though we live in a state COVERED by lakes. . none of our friends have boats =( !!

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a dear picture of Dennis and Andrew. Four on the adult menu. That's scary. My new ploy (suggested by my darling Lydia) was to "just get water!" We saved so much on drinks at dinner the other night that we could all get ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a perfect day! Love the smiles on all the faces. Nothing beats the happy, smiley face of a child!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love Caleb's hair! He's so cute. No hair cut, unless he wants one. :)
    You have an awesome family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anon, thanks for the link. It is a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like Connie's standard. As long as he keeps it clean and combed he can have it long. And my own addition, his behavior is not subpar. But. . . you're the Mom, so the ultimate decision is yours!

    ReplyDelete

I find your comments so inspiring! Thanks for visiting our family blog, and sharing your thoughts.